Star Lounger
    Thanks

Symbols in Word 2002 (2002)

Word 2002 under Windows XP seems to have a knack of substituting a symbol from another font if the symbol is not present in the chosen font. For example, if you try and insert a euro either by the keyboard, a macro or Alt+0128, in Myfont Bold Italic and that font has no euro, it will stick in a Times Bold Italic euro, rather than the customary blank square.
    Whereas I can see some usefulness in this, I'd like to be able to turn it off, as I want to see which fonts actually have a euro and use those. I wrote a macro that the creates a list of all your fonts with a sample, including the euro. Works fine in Windows Me/Word2000, and I can see which typefaces have a typographically correct euro. But running in XP/XP every damn font shows a euro which may or may not really belong. Anyone know how to turnl this 'feature' off? I've had a poke around the options, inc Autoformat and Autocorrect as you type, but without success

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Symbols in Word 2002 (2002)

The behaviour you report is indeed true, but how do you know that the euro character does not belong? The Tools|Compatibility|Font Substitution button shows no font substitutions, so apparently the Euro character somehow seems to be present in all fonts. Maybe the Euro update adds this character to every font???

Thanks

You could do a global replace for Euro in Times with a hyphen (or whatever) to show the missing font.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To build on JScher's idea, I find that the search/replace can find the "substituted" font for these characters and assign them to the desired font, showing the boxes.

I had a line of text with two Euro symbols. When I changed the font to Haettenschweiler, the two Euro symbols stayed Georgian. When I did search for, set the search for font to Georgian, then set the Replace with font to Haettenschweiler, the two Euro characters were changed to Haettenschweiler and appeared as boxes. Similarly, having search look for Euro symbol, and replace with Euro symbol in Haettenschweiler produced boxes.

So maybe you could process your font list through a macro that in each font sample looks for Euro and replaces it with a Euro in the desired font.