Lounger
    Thanks

Going from 2.0 to XP (2.0 and XP)

I need to set up a computer (OS = XP --Access = XP office) to get onto a network and access an older database created with Access 2.0. The network has about 15 users now that are on everything from 2.0 to 2000 (access) but are all using NT or 98 as their OS. I am not "allowed" to upgrade everyone or the database to more current software only make it work.

I have heard that there are some "conflicts" when trying to run XP and other operating systems in achieving my task. I was unaware of these. My approach would be to simply import all of the tables, queries, forms, macros and mods to the office XP access. I have done this in the past when using Access 97 and 2.0 and it did work, with no problems. Does anyone foresee any problems with this method? Is there a better way to do this? And what problems should I expect watchout for. Thank you for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Going from 2.0 to XP (2.0 and XP)

The biggest problem is that Access2000 and Access2002 use ADO by default, rather than DAO (as used by A2 and A97). The easiest way around this is to remove the reference to the ADO library.

Certain items were changed between A2 and A97, but A97 allowed the old usage to maintain compatibility. This may not hold jumping from A2 to A2002.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Would importing or linking be the best way to bring XP into the old system. The database is fairly basic, nothing too complex. What changes wouldn't hold? And how can I change the default or remove "reference" to the ADO library? Do you foresee any OS problems? Thank you for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I'm not sure if you can convert from Access2 into Access2002, anyone?

As for clearing the reference to ADO, merely open the A2002 database, open any module (or just go into debug), then from the menubar select Tools|References. If the ADO library is checked, then clear it.
    Mark Liquorman

Lounger
    Thanks

I do not want to convert. If I were to convert the database this would effect the older users ability to use the database. My theory was that by linking or importing into the newer access this user (xp user) could utilize the database without disturbing the integrity of the same. Obviously my goal is to connect the XP to the network and database without any interruption in production. This (linking or importing) is the only way that I am aware of without rebuilding the database and upgrading everyone. Thanks again for your input and help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure which DB your are talking about. I doubt you can link to an Access2 database from within a later database. You probably would have to export to a text file from one, then import or link to that text file from the other.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have to convert Access 2 mdbs to 97 before converting them to Access 2k, so I would assume the same is true of Access XP.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could link to Access 2 tables from Access 97, but don't try it in any later version. Even using 97 tables from an Access 2000 front end is both iffy and extremely slow.

Convert and upgrade everyone. It will take less time than trying to find and maintain a hybrid solution.
    Charlotte