2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to remove text shading

I was presented with a document today that has gray-shaded text which I am unable to remove. The shading appears on the screen as well as when printed. The shading does not appear to be paragraph formatting because when I remove the paragraph formatting it's still there.

If I did it correctly, I'm attaching a sample file with shaded text.

I'll be very interested to know where the shading is coming from and how to remove it.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to remove text shading

The text is simply highlighted. To remove select the text and on formatting toolbar click on the dropdown on the highlight button and simply select none.
    The highlight button is the one that looks like a highlighter.

Bob_D

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's it! Thank you!

Thanks

A good way to spot such problems is to use Word's "Reveal Codes" substitute: The "What's This?" command on the Help menu. I always figured that it was for explaining Word features and controls, but it also explains formatting.

If you use the command, your mouse pointer changes to a question mark / pointer combination. If you point at text and click on it, it will show what formatting has been applied to that text and where the formatting comes from (styles/direct formatting, paragraph / character(font) formatting. In this case, the message was helpful, even if cryptic (Character Formatting: direct : pattern - white).

To change the pointer back, use the Esc key.

To clear character (font) formatting from a selection, press Ctrl-Spacebar. To clear paragraph formatting, press Ctrl-Q while the insertion point is in the paragraph or the paragraph is at least partially selected.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,
    The only issue I have with the "What's This?" is that it refers to character formatting. Highlighting is not formatting. When "What's This?" is applied against plain text it produce the same pattern: (clear)white for me.
    How did that point you to highlighting?

Also, after doing Microsoft support for Word (2.5 yrs) I try to keep answers direct and simple. Too many people don't want to know how to find the answers, they just want the fix.

Thanks

Bob,

I guess we're both right! (But I was mistaken, also.)[img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]

I was wrong about it being highlighting. It wasn't. There isn't any white highlighting in Word. It was white shading applied with the Borders and Shading dialog box.

You are correct that directly applied highlighting doesn't show up on the "What's This?" screen. Apparently it isn't considered formatting. The shading, though does.

In any case, the Ctrl-Spacebar and Ctrl-Q commands are valuable ones to have in the arsenal. The Ctrl-Spacebar command would (did) clear up this problem.

I agree that people often want their problems fixed rather than to learn what to do to avoid their problems. I'm a criminal defense lawyer and that human characteristic keeps me in rent money. However, I'm not getting paid to solve other's problems here.

Hopefully, the people regularly reading this board will learn through that how to avoid problems that have perplexed others as well as how to solve them. I guess I'm trying to "pay forward" the patience, advice and help that I've received, and hope that others will do likewise.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am one who definitely wants to know the why's, tips and tricks behind my questions so that I can master Word. I am a WordPerfect user at heart, trying to adjust to a strange new world....

I went back to my original file, and in Word 97, not only did the "What's This?" screen not give me any info about the highlighting, but Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Spacebar had no effect as well. I also couldn't fix the problem from the Borders and Shading dialog box.

The only thing that worked for me was Bob's suggestion to use the Highlight toolbar button to remove the highlighting.

Charles, should Ctrl+Spacebar and the Borders and Shading dialog box have worked to remove the highlighting as well?

- Linda

Thanks

Nope, not if it was highlighting. Only the highlighting tool seems to be able to change that. You might try downloading your document and seeing if it is the same one you uploaded, though. When I tried, the What's This showed white shading applied as direct formatting. When I selected the text and did Ctrl-Spacebar the shading went away.

When I tried the highlighter, it had no effect.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charles, I opened my original attachment from the link above and the "What's This?" screen did NOT show white shading as direct formatting and Ctrl+Spacebar had no effect to remove the highlighting.

I don't understand why we're getting different results....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linda,
    Using the attachment you supplied I did the standard checks with borders & shading as white border lines w/gray shading will produce the same results.
    Next, from past experience I checked highlighting & bingo.
    Since highlighting is not formatting the ctrl+spacebar and ctrl+Q do not apply.
    Highlighting is not used that often so it can easily be overlooked.
    Word is fun to use. Enjoy it.

Bob_D

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the followup! I appreciate all the info!

Thanks

Could be a difference in Word Versions.
    I just tried with Word 97 and got a different result. That one has both highlighting and white shading. It took both Ctrl-Spacebar and the highlighting button to clear it!

And again, the What's This? pointer only picked up the shading, not the highlighting.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin