2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Won't Shut Down--W2000/SR2

My W2000/sr2 OS (P4) will not shut down after I did a clean re-install. Executing shut down goes to a blue screen (no "safe to turn-off" dialogue). The only way to shut down is manually cut the power...I tried a couple of shut down programs but neither worked....

Any assistance would be appreciated. I can't seem to find a MS article on these and a search of Lounge posting for the past year didn't turn up anything....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Won't Shut Down--W2000/SR2

Looks like the cure is worse than the problem...I did the following:
    1. ran apmstate -v ( a no-go doesn't run);
    2. tried to set-up hibernate (got a "device attached to the system is not functioning" -- although the Device Manager indicates all are o.k.);
    3. Booted from SafeMode and the computer shut down properly.

As I have LOTS of software on the computer comparing drivers and processes between SafeMode/BootMode and starting a process of elimination would be really an overkill (easer just to shut if off manually).

Let me know if you have any other ideas and thanks for the help. BTW, this was a re-format/re-install set-up and I really can't think of anything I installed that was new from the previous installation where ShutDown work....???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you "I did a clean re-install" how can you have "As I have LOTS of software on the computer comparing drivers and processes between SafeMode/BootMode and starting a process of elimination would be really an overkill (easer just to shut if off manually)." ?
    A clean install would have formated the system drive and the SW should have needed to be reinstalled.

Is this machine being dual booted with another Windows OS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Success, to get APM working I went to the Start-up icon in the Control Panel and, under Startup Common, I unchecked ADOBE GAMMA LOADER and IMAGE FOX....the computer now shuts down. However, HIBERNATE still comes up with error message I mentioned earler and will not set-up (no big deal)...

btw, by clean re-install I meant I reformatted and re-installed, essentially, the software that had been installed which was generally what had been on the partitions previously (and with no APM problems). I think Image Fox is an ACDSee progam and I did install a different version of this program (I suspect this is the problem).

Only the Win2000 with SR2 as an operating system. I have a second HDD for clone back-ups...

Thanks for the assistance in pointing to potential fix areas......