Thread: Hard Disk Noise

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Disk Noise

I have a Pentium II machine running Win95 networked to a Pentium III running Win98SE. When both machines are idle the Pentium III is silent but the Pentium II running Win 95 has the hard disk chattering constantly. Is this right? What is going on? The hard disk will wear out ahead of time at this rate!

Thanks

Re: Hard Disk Noise

Probably not. How old is it?
    Is it accessing the HD - i.e. do you see the disk activity light when it makes the noise?
    It could be a mechanical breakdown - the bearings are wearing out. Or the HD surface may be reaching the end of it's natural life.

Check for FindFast or an anti-virus scanner running for a software problem.
    Run defrag - you may simply be out of space.
    Run Scandisk for a hardware related problem.
    Backup important data as soon as you can.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might also try removing and re-seating the hard drive data cable, on both the drive and motherboard ends, several times. I, too, have an older computer and have found that, over time, the cable connections will tend to corrode or get dirty (even though they're gold plated) and my machine will start to exhibit similar symptoms. Just a thought. Good luck.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The HD is four years old and yes the disk activity light flickers as the HD chatters. FindFast is disabled and Norton AV does not appear to be running although NAV Auto-Protect is in the SystemTray. I have 900MB of free space. Scandisk has been run frequently recently.

Thanks

Does defrag show any bad sectors?
    Try turning off as many background applications as possible to find the cause of the disc activity.
    However, disk activity itself is not necessarily a bad sign. If the actual volume of the noise is causing concern - only you know if it is getting worse - then I would suspect this is not a good portent.