Thread: DVD Install

New Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Install

I'm looking for advice for a friend that bought a DVD and wishes to install it on (for lack of better description) a not so new PC.

Win98, P166, 64 mg RAM

The dilemma: The old CD that is being replaced takes a 50 pin plug. The DVD, of course, calls for a 40 pin plug.

I would supply you with more facts, but I'm not sure what else is pertinent.

Please let me know if there is a possible solution, and what furthur info you may require.

TIA

M

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD Install

After looking this over, my concern would be more that the system would not support any of the reasons to have a DVD player to begin with. Most DVD software packages require at a minimum a 300MHz processor and a good video card; also, and the more RAM the better.

To connect the drive as is, you could purchase an add-in IDE controller - they're fairly inexpensive. DVD movie playback would require an add-in hardware decoder to work at all. Given that you would need two additional pieces of hardware to make effective use of the drive, it may be better to save the cash and think about a new motherboard/processor combo, which would eliminate the need for an add-in controller and (provided the system was fast enough) also a hardware DVD decoder.

There isn't much software being released on DVD these days, although smoewhere down the road that may change.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD Install

50-pin connector is SCSI connector, that means, your motherboard likely has second IDE (40-pin) connector unused.

BUT, as Mark said, your friend can not watch DVD movies on that machine. Requirements for the movies are at least 350 MHz (Mark, I saw 300 MHz computer with DVD - no way, movie stops each 5 seconds for 1 second) and 128 MB RAM (256 MB preferred). However, it can be used to open data DVD disks...