Thread: IE6 (IE6)

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE6 (IE6)

Hello,
    This is my first post so bear with me. I have Win XP Pro, 1.0 Ghz, 20 Gig HD and a cable modem . While I type this post, text that I am not typing keeps appearing wherever the cursor is. This just started happening today whenever I am online and the cursor is in a text box. I disabled both my firewall and anti virus today while I ran defrag.

Thanks

Re: IE6 AutoComplete (IE6)

Does this only happen in Internet Explorer forms?

There is a feature called AutoComplete that tries to recognize what you're typing and complete your thought for you. I've never tried it on forms, but if you think that might be the problem, try adjusting these settings (found under Tools, Internet Options...
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is happens wherever the cursor is blinking with no input from me. I was signing into my e-mail account online and it happened. Also, in Outlook in a new e-mail message, the cursor was in the To: field and it happened. I opened Word and waited a couple of seconds and it happened. I am familiar with AutoComplete. That isn't the problem. I think my computer my have gotten a worm or trojan horse or something when I disabled the av & firewall to run defrag. I reinstalled Win XP and the that didn't help because it is still happening. Any other suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't believe you would need to shut down your firewall or AV program to defrag your HD -- at least I certainly never have. If your firewall is ZA, you could use the Internet Lock and shut out everything instead.

Could you have been so unlucky that you got infected during the time your defenses where down? Possibly, but that would be very unlucky. The usual methods of compromise are email, removable/transferable media, and web pages, Did you use email, insert a floppy disk, or visit a web site during the time that your firewall and AV program were off? "Direct" infection -- malware sneaking through an open port -- is rare enough to be consider mythical.

Have you updated your AV definitions and checked for an infection? (I suspect yes, but it needs to be stated). If so, then an infection is even less likely -- all decent AV programs catch the most frequent infections. You could also run an anti-trojan program to make sure. The vast majority cost money, but many let you have a few free runs first. I believe AntiTrojan gives you five free runs.

What exactly is the test that you are seeing? Can you give us an example?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was using ZA, but since I've installed Win XP there are too many programs trying to access the internet and asking for server rights. I not comfortable with ZA since. I switched to Black Ice. I will not disable the firewall or AV while defragging in the future. I didn't use e-mail or insert a floppy with my defenses down. I may have gone to a web site, but I'm not sure.

I ran an anti-trojan program before and found nothing. I also ran the one you suggested and nothing was found. I have Norton AV 2001 and my virus definitions are up to date.

An example of text that appears is as follows. This text was typed in Word while I had it opened. This is the most text that has appeared on it's own since this is happening. None of it makes sense:

"A, Japan and The new FA and of a ten to the have an of the very they say is I say you're there were a day were R's-and I need for women have a base A and C. to me and I'll were using. I There have a bank U.S. ally in the Thank you can get along " (this last string was typed in blue)

Sometimes characters that I've never seen before are typed and sometimes it will backspace on it's own. When this text is being typed sometimes the computer just locks up when I try to backspace to get rid of the text.

HELP!! This is very frustrating and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Very weird!! Is that text anything you recognize? Could it possibly come from a file in your computer? There is one way to find out. Download a free program called "Agent Ransack". Run this and have it search for piece of that text that you posted. See if that text exists anywhere in your computer.