Thread: old floppies

New Lounger
    Thanks

old floppies

Is there any way to convert old floppies lingo into pdf format? I have lots of old ones and try to read on my upgraded PC and all I see is askey. Help!

Thanks

Re: old floppies

What kind of files are you talking about?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going through some old floppies I made for back ups when I had MS Word 3.1, and naturally an older PC. I get the dialog that says it cannot be read and needs to be in PDF format.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

How are you trying to open the files?
    Do the files have any extension(s)?
    Are they copies of original Word 3.1 files, or created by some backup software?

Ultimately, what is it you want to achieve?
    Do you want to open them in Word? I'm afraid I don't follow where 'pdf' comes into it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The floppies contain data from a Family Tree program & MS Word files. I would like to open them and read them and print out the data or copy/paste to my current programs. I do have the file names, such as FAMILY TREE 1.011. The pdf come from the dialog box that pops up after I insert the floppy and try and open it. It says that the file name must start with "pdf". To be exact: '%pdf-'

Adobe is trying to read it, but have tried other resources and other "run" avenues, but nothing will open them.

The Family Tree comes from a software program, and I've installed that hoping it would read the floppy. But no. The MS Word files are from 3.1.

Thanks.
    Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Which operating system do you use now and which one was before?
    With this information it will be easier to investigate your problem.
    If you need to open your data files for reading (to copy contents) only, you can use file viewer program (that one that come with Windows 95/98 or Quick View Plus, for example).
    You don't need to convert your data files to PDF - this kind of error message came from the program that "thinks" that you're trying to open damaged Adobe files.
    Moreover, I do not understand what is the problem with your old Word document files - is your current version of Word unable to open them?
    What the error message do you have when trying to open Family Tree files from installed program? Doesn't it recognize the floppy or specific file?
    Once again, please give more information.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How old is this Family Tree Program? And who made this program?

I have been using Family Tree Maker since version 2.0. It came on a 5 1/4 disk for a DOS machine. I know that the files from that version can NOT be read on to days version of 9 for Windows.

Also if the Word files are from the DOS or early Windows time frame they may not be able to be read by todays versions. I do NOT know of a Word 3.1 version, if ther was it would be a DOS version. Windows Versions were Version 1, 2 and then it went to 5.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.