Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks in webpages from Ppt (Ppt2000)

I have a presentation that I want to save as a webpage from Ppt. This contains hyperlinks to other websites that I want to open in a new browser window, leaving the presentation window unaffected. Is there any way of doing this in PowerPoint or must I edit all the HTML files that are created when I save as a webpage ?

Many thanks in advance,

PaulJ

Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks in webpages from Ppt (Ppt2000)

I've spent some time researching your question and come up with the following conclusions:
    1. You can specify that a link held in a ppt file opens in a new page - but that info is lost when saving as a web page.
    2. PPT save as web page puts a whole lot of "extra" office automation code in your web pages - an excellent free tool from MS to clean this code up is at theOffice 2000 HTML Filter 2.0 page. Quick download, quick install - easy to use, I simply select all the options.
    3. You'll have to go through the webpages and replace the _parent attribute with _blank. Arrgh! The help files seem to indicate you can do this with the script editor - but that seems like an unbelievably complex interface. I'd use Notepad!
    4. PPT saves web pages as framesets, and there is nothing you can do to turn this off! Arrrgh!
    5. PPT 2002 saves links to be opened in a new window as a default. But still uses framesets.

I'm curious about what others find.
    Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks in webpages from Ppt (Ppt2000)

Catherine,
    Many thanks for taking the time to look into the answer. We have taken the route of editing the web pages prepared by Ppt in FrontPage (a little bit more user-friendly for a beginner than Notepad and the dreaded Office-HTML!!!). The hyperlinks are easier to edit as well using the Hyperlink editing capability of FrontPage.
    It is interesting to note that the image of the slide created by Ppt only shows up as a thumbnail size image in FrontPage: it still shows properly when viewd thru a browser.
    Many thanks again for your help.

Paul