Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registering question Windows XP

I recently bought XP and installed it on my system. Due to incapacity and performance issues I had to restore my system back to Windows 98. I registered XP when I installed it. Would anyone know if there would be a problem if I sold or gave XP to another person. I would hate to waste my $100 for it to just sit in my drawer.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registering question Windows XP

Further to that, I have heard that transferring ownership of an activated product (Win or Office XP) can be cumbersome at best and ridiculously diffult at worst. I suspect that somewhere in the EULA there is fine print that essentially says, "you bought it, you own it, have a nice day."

Don't let it discourage you from trying, after all, you weren't happy with the product and the customer is always right!
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

after 120 days, you should be able to activate it on another comuter, so it could be sold or installed on a different one, but if you are selling it to a stranger for $$$$, i'dcall MS and follow to correct procedure. To give it to a family member, i'd probably just wait the 120 days and reactivate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The new owner will NOT be able to activate the OS on their machine. You will need to contact MS and explain to them what you want to do. There is a process for you to follow that MAY allow the Copy to be transferred on to someone else.

The following is from Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Product Activation (Q302878)
    at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...n-us;Q302878#3z

<font color=red>Is it possible to transfer a license to another computer?

Consumers should refer to the terms of their license agreement to determine whether or not it is legal to transfer a license to another computer. But in those cases where it is allowed, the product must first be removed from the previous computer. Users may be required to complete the activation on the new computer by placing a call to the Microsoft Activation Center. </font color=red>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You should read "Woody's Office Watch #7.08". There is an article about this very subject, and it appears that this is a major problem.
    Legare Coleman