Thanks

network newbie:PROGRESS!

I don't know how it happened, but two machines kissed and made up last night. The network icons for the Win2k laptop and the Win98se desktop appeared in one another's Network Neighborhoods enabling me to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop where I hope to make a backup to a CDRW.

Oddly enough, however, I received the following message from the Win98se desktop when I booted it first
    <hr>The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.0.1 with the system having hardware address 00:06:29:95:24:4B The interface has been disabled<hr>
    What does that mean, and what do I do about it?

I booted the Win2k laptop and rec'd this mssg
    <hr>The system has detected an IP address conflict with another system on the network. The local interface has been disabled. More details are available in the system event log. Consult network administrator to resolve the conflict.<hr>
    First off, where is this system event log and, second, the network adminsitrator won't be much for consultation since that's me [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Somehow I managed to set up a system tray icon in the Win2k laptop that tells me the Local Area Connection is active, but I'm 404 on how to get it to appear in the Win98se desktop systray. Any clues?

Spkg of the Win2k systray icon, it tells me I have a ten Mbps speed, but I'm sure the IBM 10/100 EtherJet CardBus Adapter can go to 100. How??

I also found a way to make an Internet Connection Sharing Client floppy disk from the Win98se desktop but haven't tried it in the Win2k laptop since they're different operating systems.

What's the trick to enabling the two machines to share an Internet connection?

And, FWIW, I'm 404 on how to repeat the progress I've made. My pragmatism is really evident in this stuff!

Looking forward to some great help! TIA

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network newbie:PROGRESS!

Scott,

Based on the messages, it looks like you are using static IPs and that the machines that gave you the errors are configured with the same one (192.168.0.1). Since I don't know Win2k very well I'll just cover Win98. In Control Panel double click on the Network icon. Find the TCP/IP listing for the network card, double click. Change the IP address to one you aren't using on another machine. Click OK and then restart the computer. Then restart the Win2k machine and they should be ok.

Ken

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: network newbie:PROGRESS!

This appears to be a duplicate of a theard of one in the Windows 2000 board, http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.p...w=expanded&sb=5. I am closing this thread.
    Thanks

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.