New Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot corruption (OfficeXP: Word 2002 (10.2627.2625))

I've recently started having some unexplained problems with normal.dot getting corrupted. It started after I installed WOPR, the Thesaurus and the Place Bar, but I don't know that it is specifically related to that. At about the same time I installed Palm Desktop software and a Palm utility called Quickword; both of these latter apps install a .DOT file in the Office Startup directory.

I first noticed the problem when Word would not start and asked to send a report to MS. Word would only start in Safe Mode. So I deleted normal.dot and removed the aforementioned .dot files from the Startup directory.

Then I started Word, which created a new Normal.dot, and quit Word. I started Word again, opened a few of my previous documents and did some printing, editing & etc. I quit Word again. When I tried to start Word it crashed again, and I could only start in Safe Mode. I checked in my userapplication datamicrosofttemplates directory and found that Normal.dot had ballooned to almost 360K.

So once again I deleted normal.dot, started Word, quit Word, and then I marked Normal.dot as "Read Only."

Is there any way I can get rid of that dialog box which asks to save changes to Normal.dot when I exit? This happens even when I don't actually DO anything in Word!

Or, is there another way to sleuth and detect the cause of this problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot corruption (OfficeXP: Word 2002 (10.2627.2625))

Here is some follow-up information.

My current iteration of normal.dot has a few changes to the standard tool bar. It starts life at 168K in size. If I start Word and quit again without actually doing anything, normal.dot swells to 270K. If I open Word again and quit without doing anything, normal.dot swells to 311K. Then the next time I start Word, it crashes and has to startin Safe Mode.

In the above scenario, the way that I start Word is by double-clicking on normal.dot in the Directory list (I use Power Desk instead of Windows Explorer).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Budman:
    With the caveat that I haven't used Word 2002, I can make some suggestions. Something in a startup folder is making changes to normal.dot. First, I would advise against changing your options to remove the prompt. That option is useful in letting you know when something is happening & giving you a choice. In previous versions, it can be found under Tools/Options/Save tab.

Since you've already created a new normal.dot & removed templates from the Office Startup folder, you should also check the Word Startup folder (at least that was true in earlier versions). I would go to Windows Explorer & search for all startup folders to see if there are any others relating to Word or Office.

Removing .dot files alone may not be enough. Any add-in may be making changes to normal.dot & you need to remove or rename everything in your startup folders. Then put 'em back in, 1 at a time, & restart Word to see what happens.

ALSO, before doing anything else, search for and delete your temp files.
    1. Reboot.
    2. Make sure nothing is running.
    3. Delete *.tmp & ~*.*

IF the above steps do not correct the issue, you may have a virus. Check your hard drive with an up to date virus checker. Actually, that might be the first step escept that one of the other reasons is much more likely.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

One add-in that does cause word to save normal.dot everytime you close Word is the MS Reader add-in that converts Word documents into MS Reader format. In itself it would not cause normal.dot to increase in size, but when WOPR is also installed normal.dot starts increasing in size evertime Word exits.

Thanks

You might want to post this in the WOPR forum. I am assuming that you are using the version of WOPR designed for Office XP.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin