Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Connection

I
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Internet Connection

You stated "either lose the email connection or the Internet connection or both", is this that you have your email program and/or browser running and it (they) quit working?

Or that when you try to open your email program and/or browser and they do NOT open?

And are you running "Microsoft Exchange 2000" on a 3 machine peer to peer network?

You did NOT state what programs you are using for your email and browser?

Are the same browsers and email programs being used on ALL machines?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

I am running Outlook 2000 on all machines. All browsers are IE 6.0. Email is delivered through a pop.server and sent through a smtp.server provided by my ISP.

I do not have Microsoft Exchange 2000 or a peer-to-peer network that I know of unless that is what LinkSys makes my setup. My network was automatic when I connected each computer to a connection on the LinkSys Router and then connected the router to the high-speed cable modem. I don
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of questions: Do you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled (possibly unintentionally)? I had exactly the same symptoms, and they went away when I disabled ICS. You may have an entirely different problem, but it's worth checking out.

If you have a dialup connection in addition to your cable modem, try this instead of rebooting: establish a dialup connection, open your browser and let it find a web site. Then close the browser and the dialup connection. Then try your broadband connection again. This always worked for me as a workaround until I disabled ICS. It's still a pain, but it's easier than rebooting.

Fafner

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner,

I don
    H Lewton

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! I have been getting exactly the same symptoms as you describe, and I thought it was my cable ISP's fault.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I shouldn
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To check for ICS, go to ControlPanel/Network and Internet Connections/Network Connections. Select your cable connection and in the left panel click Change settings of this connection. On Advanced tabs, look for Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection. If it is checked, uncheck it. If this option doesn't appear, then you don't have ICS enabled.

Doesn't your ISP give you a dial-up number to use as a backup?

Fafner

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner,

Thanks but actually that is exactly where I was checking yesterday. I don
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I should have asked you, are you running Windows XP Pro also?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner,

Sorry I missed your last question. No my ISP does not give me a dial-up connection as a backup unless I am just totally unaware of it. My ISP is Road Runner and I have never seen or been made aware of any dial-up connections. I know for sure that I have no dial-up connections on any of my computers.

Thanks and sorry I missed your question before.
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, you are looking at the Windows XP firewall, which you do not want if you are using ZoneAlarm. If you don't see anything on this tab that specifically says Internet Connection Sharing, then it is not enabled.

Also, try to find out if your ISP has a dial-up number you can use. Every broadband service i have had experience with will provide one.

Fafner

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. I am running XP Home. Evidently it doesn't make a difference.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fafner,

I searched my ISP's WEB site and found no mention of a dialup method of connecting. I even checked the entire operating and setup manual they gave me when I started their service. I really don't think any exist but I will try calling Tech. support and see what they say about it. However, if I read your first post correctly since we have established that I don't have ICS enabled why would a dialup connection help in any manner?

Another funny thing happened on my way to this forum, my described problem has been nonexistent since I posted about it. It was happening on a regular basis before I posted but it hasn't happened since. I have done nothing, not installed anything, not downloaded anything, not even run Norton Utilities since the post. These computers are strange things. I'm fairly certain the problem will occur again but at this instant it is working fine. I wish I knew what happened to change things.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Using a dial-up is a stopgap, but not a means to and end - in other words, it doesn't solve the problem that installing the patch created.

Does the "fix" (it sure fixed you good) appear in the Add/Remove programs list? If it does, you should try removing it and see what happens.

I'd also make sure that you contact the mothership (Microsoft) and complain loudly. These kind of things aren't supposed to happen, but there's no way that you can test every single hardware/software combination out there.

And my oft-repeated mantra: try the system file checker, or an emergency repair with the CD. As I said already it's not normal behavior. I have had a wonderful experience with XP's stability and just doing what it should, and this seems like a needless frustration.

I had to add this after posting initially: did you see this?
    <hr>Recommendation:Customers who need the Windows 2000 SMTP services should apply the patch; all others should disable the SMTP service.<hr>

Try disabling the SMTP service.
    -Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast