3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows ME Home Network

I have two computers running Win ME. Each has a NIC with cat5 cable connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, which is also the gateway to my ISP using DSL, and the Efficient Networks 5260 DSL modem. The original purpose was to share the ISP connection.

Now I would like to share files and printers. I used the WinME Home Networking Wizard to configure both PC's. On the PC that is remote to the router, Network Places shows the workgroup name, MSHOME in the Entire Network directory, which is the default setting, after logging in with a password; but detects no other network components. On the PC that is locally attached to the router, the wizard appears to work and requests a reboot, but there is no MSHOME workgroup in the Entire Network directory after completing the reboot. In fact there are zero folders in that directory. I can reach the internet from both computers.

I've been through the WinME Help and Support to no avail. On the local PC, I checked the network settings in Contol Panel/Network and find that the machine id, etc. appears. Likewise on the remote PC. I am not assigning IP addresses; instead, I clicked the button for automatic IP address assignment.

Can someone guide me to a source that describes home networking and troubleshooting?

Any and all help greatly appreciated and gratefully accepted.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows ME Home Network

Did you get an answer to your question? I don't see a subsequent post. I am having a similar problem, but with different operating systems. I orginally had Windows 98SE on both machines on a network with hub and things were fine. Both computers shared the Internet connection and each could access the other.

Then I bought a new machine to replace one of them that was too outdated. It came with windows ME. so I had that on PC1 and Win98 on PC2. I am using an ethernet hub with the Cisco 675 DSL router on PC2. The internet connection was fine for both workstations, but PC2 could not find PC1 on the network. I used the WinME networking wizard and the Network setup disc to no avail. I removed and re-installed NETBEUI several times.

A friend suggested upgrading to WindowsXP, which is supposed to handle networking in a snap. I upgraded PC2 to WinXP, with PC1 still using WinME. PC2 has two ethernet adapters--one for the LAN and one for the DSL router. Both computers are able to access the internet fine.

Now, after trying all kinds of configurations, I can't get either computer to find the other. In fact, PC1 can't even access the network anymore, yet the shared internet connection is fine. I tried the Networking wizard and netsetup from XP several times. I had PC2 firewalled first, then I removed the firewall, but that didn't help.

I tried assigning IP addresses manually, using the 10.0.0.0 ID and the 192.168.0.0, and tried both subnet masks, 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.0. That didn't work.

I am considering going back to WIN98 on both machines, and saying "to hell with it", but I have these newer versions and I am guessing they can work. Any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows ME Home Network

I just reconfigured a new laptop for my wife this past weekend with XP home and a LinkSys router. I have ZoneAlarm on my PC as well as her laptop. I had to set security to low (left ZoneAlarm pane - can't remember the title) before each PC would 'see' the other. HTH