Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The dangers of scripting in e-mail

are these the ones about spying? i'm recommending no forwarding of HTML until i get a macro to strip scripting off messages. there is one called zaphtml at slipstick and WYBcan do it, but we need one just to pull off scripting and images. (actually, the man upstairs won't let me buy a site lic for WYB [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img] which can do everything we want, because it does too much.)

outlook2000 can not display active content in the preview pane. outlook98 can, depending on the security patches. for this reason, i'm recommending all outlook2000 users use the preview pane.

Lounger
    Thanks

The dangers of scripting in e-mail

Reports today have again appeared in the press about the risks of embedded scripting in e-mail. I have been advising my customers to set the Outlook and Outlook Express to the restricted security setting and customise the setting so scripting is disabled. The following articles further confirm the reasons why you should do so too.

If you are linking Outlook to programs such as ACT or Intellisynch, connecting to PDA's such as Palms or Psions, or using Net Folders. Check that your link works after disabling the scripting. Some of these programs rely on Windows Scripting.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16655.html>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16655.html</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.privacyfoundation.org/advisories/advemailwiretap.html>http://www.privacyfoundation.org/advisorie...ailwiretap.html</A>

Thanks

Watch Your Back (was Re: The dangers of scripting

Boy, those WYB people have a thing about read receipts, don't they? I can't imagine ever using this feature:

Receipt and Custom Message Blasting
    Available in: Add-in Version, Taskbar Version
    Blast senders with one or more read receipts or custom messages. Blasting is available through an express blaster, that allows for one-click blasting and through a custom blaster that allows you to specify the options on a blast-by-blast basis.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've been known to use them as DoS attacks. Learned of the technique from some of the microsoft mvps during a beta test. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I look at it as a privacy issue. I read all mail in the preview and rarely mark as read. I've had people ask why i delete their mail without reading it when i did read it. Reminds me of the people with caller ID or call back features who call back all missed calls, even if they have no idea who you are.

Lounger
    Thanks

One of the silliest network problems I came across was at a company where their salesmen had spammed their entire contact books and marked the messages to return received and read receipts.

The result was that we got a call saying the Internet was down. Their smtp server received something like 15,000 messages over a three hour period, way more than their system could handle.

A good example of a home grown Dos attack.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The dangers of scripting in e-mail

Hi. I just sent Grinning Shark a note and they said that they are working with a few customers to provide custom versions of the software that have only the features you need. They also are apparently working on a couple reduced versions of the software that only contain some of the newer features like the HTML and attachment stuff, in addition to selling the "do it all" version. They seem to be moving away from the heavy focus on read receipts. I've been a customer of theirs since version 1.0, back in the days when everyone was asking them for read receipt features. They have always been pretty responsive and based on some of the things I've read in their user forums, it looks like a few of their customers are looking for a "shrunken" version without all the extra bells and whistles. You might want to drop them a note to ask.

vc