New Lounger
    Thanks

Open qic files in WINXP

qic files are created by using the old MS BackUp in Win 98 or similar. I am unable to read these files now I have purchased a new PC using WinXP which is a bit of a disaster. Searching the net it seems quite a few have this very same problem. The solution on the Microsoft pages is;

"restore the data from the tape or file by using Msbackup on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me"

This seems a rather impractical solution - and I would have thought MS might have some sort of obligation to create a better solution. Is this the only solution to this problem? Surely not? Any help suggestions that improve on MS greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Open qic files in WINXP

This has ALWAYS been a problem with ALL of the Windows MS and third party backup programs. It was even a problem with some of the DOS versions also. These programs ARE NOT backward useable. One must bring forward a copy of the backup program from the older OS and copy it to a seperate folder and run it from there. This may NOT work on ALL systems and OS's.
    This is the reason I do not use these type a programs. I use my own method of copying the files I want backed up to floppy, zip drive and/or CD. The copy command and drag and drop from Windows Explorer has ALWAYS worked from one OS to another, and I can even skip a few if I need.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.