New Lounger
    Thanks

How to Scan Existing DOCs for Comments (Word 97)

This is a followup to killing that automatic comment I was seeing in every new document (removed it from Normal.dot). How can I know, without opening each one, which Word docs have a comment embedded within them? Since I don't use the feature, I don't need to know who made the comment, just if one exists?

TIA again,
    Dan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to Scan Existing DOCs for Comments (Word 97)

A scan from Window Explorer might to help.

In Win NT, Open up the appropriate folder in Explorer, then Tools, Find, and click on the "Advanced" tab- "Files containing Text". In WinXP, there's a Search icon instead.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,

I run neither Win NT nor WinXP (stuck on 98). I'm curious as to how Windows Explorer in those Win versions operate to find a comment embedded by an application. Win98 does not have an "advanced" capability. But since we're talking about comments embedded by Word in its own file structure, how would Windows know this? I can also include comments in Excel attached to a cell; would Windows Explorer in these later versions now this also?

Maybe time to update.

TIA.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm surprised Win98 doesn't have some sort of facility in WIndows Explorer to search for files containing text, as even Win 95 does.

Comments are still stored in Word's file structure- but they are stored as text, so a scan for files containing that text should find something. There's no way though of determining whether found text is contained within comments or anywhere else in the document- sometimes a search for text in this way finds documents which used to contain the text- the text was deleted but still is included internally.

I don't know if this will work in Word 97 (I suspect not), but there is an option in Word 2000 to scan for documents containing comments. Under File, Open, there's a Tools option. The binoculars icon enables you to search for various properties- including searching for comments containing text.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,

SOrry about that. I wasn't following what you were saying. In Win98, you can get to the Find Files or Folders from the Start menu or from Win Explorer. I don't usually use the latter approach. In fact I never do. So when I tried it before, I was a little confused. There is an Advanced tab in this dialog but no entry for Containing Text. Instead, Containing Text is on the Name and Location tab.

I added a comment to a Word document with some unique text, put the text into the Containing Text box, and did a search. Find did do its job. I then tried doing a Find on another word that was not unique to just comments nor even to just 1 file in the folder. It found all my files with the chosen word (even 1 that was an Excel file).

So I'm not sure what Win Explorer does for the original problem. As I understood it, the poster wanted to find what files had any comments. I don't recall if the comments were unique phrasing - maybe they were since they were being put in from the template.

Thks.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Sorry, I made an assumption based on the poster's original post. here:
    <hr>How can I remove a Comment that always exists in every New Document created? It has the initials and name of the former owner of this system that I'd rather not see. I've disabled the ShowTip popup but I would like to remove this embedded Comment entry permanently.
    <hr>
    This implied it wasn't the fact that a comment existed was required (as the question seemd to ask) , but that a specific string in a comment was required.

Dan, is that correct?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,

I went back to look at Dan's original post. There's a chance that the comment may have been unique so your approach should have worked. Of course, your request for confirmation from Dan would sew it up one way or the other.

However, I conducted a little test. From what I recall, the issue was a blank comment that was part of normal.dot that Dan wanted to eliminate. A comment is identified (if that's the right word) in Word in 2 ways:
    -in the text, my initials are attached to the text with a number after them; this corresponds to the "comment id" that Word creates in the comment pane. For example, fb1, fb2, etc
    -in the comment itself, the text begins with my PC "name", which is fburg. This also shows up as the author property.

What I did was create 1 document with text and added one comment and another document with the identical text (but created it from scratch) and no comment. I used the Find Containing text for both fb and fburg. Both documents were found. So not sure if the Windows Explorer approach on a blank comment would necessarily help. If there were other unique words in the comment, perhaps it would.

Which brings me to another point. You posted your response to me and asked Dan for confirmation. It doesn't look like Dan received a copy of that email directly. So unless one is monitoring a thread or carefully reading the archives, someone like Dan may not see this. Seems like a cc: feature might be a good idea. That way, you don't have to send separate email to Dan nor count on him seeing your response to me. Maybe I should post this on the Lounge Matters. (I had a similar occurrence of this just a few weeks ago.)

Fred