Lounger
    Thanks

Preparing for new hard drive (Outlook 98)

I'm preparing to install a new hard drive and have decided it best to start over and do a "clean" install, including my Windows 95 (that's what I have!) and everything else. At some point when Microsoft was offering a free upgrade to Outlook 98, I made that move. I can't remember if that was a file I downloaded and then installed, or if it was a set-up file that I downloaded & then had to be online to complete. ??????? I have a setup file, but it hardly seem large enough (513 KB) to be all that's necessary. I'd also like to know where the address book info resides? Is it included with the mailbox.pst file or elsewhere?

Thanks

Re: Preparing for new hard drive (Outlook 98)

Nowadays, you can only find Outlook 98 in one or two books (it was on the accompanying CD); there are number of threads on this board on which book(s) and where to find them (used).

Any addresses stored in your Contacts folder are in your .pst file. If you used a Personal Address Book, look for a .pab file.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It's at least 4.5 years ago now, but I seem to remember that - until the various giveaway CDs came out, Outlook 98 was always a Net install. (Search on the Lounge and you'll find MANY threads on the issues/possibilities in trying to locate one of those old CDs.) As for the address book, are you in Corporate Workgroup or Internet Mail mode? In Corporate Workgroup, it was an adjunct of the Contacts folder. HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

Internet mail. I did locate an Outlook 98 Set-up folder that has quite a few CAB files. Might this work in a re-install? I've been searching for a phone support number for Microsoft, but their web site links dead end without giving me any.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might post as to where you are and some one near you may have a CD to help you through this. I am in the Greater Seattle area

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm in western PA! I talked to Microsoft's order desk and they don't even have it available but said since I was a registered user of Outlook 98 I could load it from someone elses CD. Now I just have to locate one!

Do you happen to know if my Outlook from Office 97 will accept my Outlook 98 .pst file and keep my address book and email folders in tact?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

With the CAB files, you may actually be in luck. Save them all in their folder structure and try running setup.exe. Good luck! Should that fail, I believe you should have backwards compatibility foir your *.pst file with Outlook 97.
    Gre