Lounger
    Thanks

Change template (97 SR2)

(Maybe "template" is not the right word.) When I click File/New Document, under the General tab I have two things: Blank Document and a document that someone put there for me; it's actually my letterhead. Now my e-mail address got changed on me so I need to change this on my letterhead. How do I get into this doc, please?
    Isabel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Change template (97 SR2)

Isabel,

There's more than one way to locate the file - one way would be to search for it using Windows Explorer.

But to find it within Word, first open a document (any document) and go to Tools > Options and click on the File Locations tab. Note the location specified for User Templates. If you cannot read the entire file path under Location, then double-click on that entry - a dialog will appear from which you should be able to discern the entire path - make note of this path.
    Then Cancel and then Close to get back to the open document (which you can close).

Now File/Open and navigate to the folder location you noted previously. What you will probably see in that folder is your Normal.dot, along with your letterhead template.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,
    Thank you - I've noted the technique for future occasions. Here, however, it didn't work, possibly because the doc in question wasn't a template at all (I just called it that because I didn't know what else to call it). It's what appears beside the "Blank Document" in Word when I select "New Document" under the File menu.
    Is there anywhere else it could be??
    Isabel

Lounger
    Thanks

Found the answer: pressed "Open Document" and in the pulldown box selected "Template." There it was; I fixed and saved it, and it popped up again in the usual place when I went to check it.

Nothing like posting a question in public to get the old brain working - very valuable!

Thanks again.

Thanks

Hi Isabel,

Glad you found your solution. For future template questions, you might want to start with Template Basics (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) - information on the different kinds of templates, where they are stored, and how to get them to show up under the File => New dialog.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin