3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section Break Before (Word 2000 SR1a)

I have a template with three default sections. Each section has its own header so obviously I have turned off "Same as Previous". The header includes a cross reference to the title of the section so that whenever I change the title, the header also changes.
    When I add a new section, the first style is a heading with a page break before. I then have to manually insert the section break and change the heading from the default "Same as Previous". I then add the cross reference to the new sections title.
    1] Is there any way to make the style force a section break rather than a page break.
    2] Is there any way to make the new heading default to not having the "Same as Previous" setting.
    I can record a macro to do this after I have entered the title but it would neater if it all happened as part of selecting the style.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section Break Before (Word 2000 SR1a)

If the only reason for the section breaks and the different headers is to include the section name in your header then you could try using a single header throughout and use a Styleref field to include the information.

If your sections each start with a Heading 1 then you just need a field like

<pre> { STYLEREF "Heading 1" * MERGEFORMAT }
    </pre>

You can either use Control F9 to insert the { } or Inerst=>Field and choose Styleref from Links and References.

This will include the text of the most recent Heading 1 in the appropriate place in each header.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart

That is a very useful idea to me and will work ideally in quite a number of the documents that I produce. You can hear it coming though can't you? But...

in one type of document, most of the "sections" begin with Heading 2 and your solution will be fine for those pages. Unfortunately a random number of sections will be preceded by a page with a Heading 1 style. If my docs were printed single sided, I could use your suggestion and have a different first page header with nothing in it. Unfortunately they are printed double sided and the page with Heading 1 style is followed by a blank page, which would include the header but pointing to the following Heading 2. That would be wrong for that page.

As far as I can see, I will still need to have some section breaks, although the Styleref solution will greatly reduce those as before I needed it for every Heading 2. Indeed it will do so to the point where it is only a few minutes work. So if you, or anyone else, does know a way of forcing a style to be preceded by a section break then I am still interested, albeit it is not so important now.

Many thanks Stuart for your help.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,

As of Word 2002, there is no built-in way to do this. And any VBA kludge will be, well, kludgy.

BTW, for more on the STYLEREF field, see the StyleRef Field Tutorial.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charles. Nicer to know it can't be done rather than it can but you can't figure out how!
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I tried creating a new style called "Section" based on a hidden font and using this in the page header or footer. There was no way I could get Word to display any text in the Styleref field when the referenced paragraph was hidden.

Another good idea bites the dust...

StuartR