Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alterego

Word 97 slow to print

Any idea why Word should take 15-20 seconds to spool a single page? The problem is not markedly affected by file size - even a single line of text takes 10-12 seconds before the printer bothers to wake up. This does not occur in Excel and does not seem to be affected by spool settings (even if turned off). Computer is PII with 128Mb RAM and printer is DeskJet 950. I have turned off the Find Fast and all links from Outlook.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 slow to print

Have you checked under Tools,Options,Print Tab? I only have "allow a4/letter paper resizing", "background printing", and "drawing objects" checked. Also, my default tray says "use printer settings".

alterego

Thanks for the input. Actually, I did try this, as I thought the A4 resizing might slow it down (although everything is set for A4 anyway) but it made no difference. I've even tried reinstalling Word, but I believe that this is difficult to uninstall completely, so whatever is causing the trouble might still be there!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Couple of things. First, you didn't say what version of Word, but I notice that my Word 2000 is significantly slower than Word 7; more formatting information is sent to the printer.

Secondly, go to control panel/printers & select the printer & click properties. One of the tabs will have a spooling options on it. While there are advantages & disadvantages for each, I use the one that starts printing immediately. Depending on your printer, there may be an option to print after the last page is spooled or the first or other options. See if this helps.

alterego

Thank you, but I'm afraid we already tried that. Perhaps 'spooling' is the wrong description of the problem, but it is whatever Word does when preparing to print a file, during which a little printer symbol appears on the status bar at the bottom. Even so, there is about a five second delay before even that appears, then it stays for about the same length of time, THEN the printer driver starts and a few seconds later the printer starts to work.

This might sound trivial, but it's all waiting time, and when you're in a hurry to produce a letter which you will probably want to edit and re-print a few moments later, it's unacceptable (especially when the DOS WP you used on a 286 ten years ago spat the page out instantly!).

I take the point about Word 2000, though, and will certainly try to avoid it for as long as possible

Thanks

I'm on Word2K but some of this may be relevant:
    Are you printing with a macro, or using the default Print command?
    What size is a typical Word file and what is the spooled file size?
    What OS are you running?

alterego

Thanks. We're not using a macro, and the file size is about 70k. There is a logo on our letterhead that slows it down slightly, but even a plain text page takes 10-15 seconds before the printer wakes up. I don't know what the spooled size is (?), but turning spooling off in the printer driver makes almost no difference. We have an older computer with an identical printer in the next office that works as expected, but there are no obvious differences in the Word configuration... (unless I'm missing something obvious!)
    The OS is Win95.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This may sound counter-inutitive, but try it with Tools/Options/Print/background printing UNchecked. Having it checked returns control to Word sooner, but may slow the overall printing process.

Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is your Word 97 an upgrade from an older version of Word? Are you using converted documents?

If so, then switching your Printer Metric setting might be an idea. When we upgraded from Word 6/95 to Word 97 we started to have significant print delays. We also noticed delays between the printing of each page. We called it the pausing printer syndrome. In our office we use primarily HP Laserjet 4 Plus printers.

It took a while (needle in a haystack) but the answer for us was to either turn on or off the Printer Metrics setting located under ToolsOptionsCompatibilityUse Printer Metrics to Lay Out Document. That was over a year ago and I haven't had my morning coffee yet so I'm not exactly certain if it was to turn it on or off. Note, thought, changing this Printer Metrics option usually changes in line wrapping or document pagination.

Good luck,
    Daisy

alterego

I won't know if this does the trick until I next visit (it's not my computer), so this is just to say that I appreciate everyone's input. I also discovered that it's the only computer in the place running Win98, not 95 as I had thought. Most of my experience with 98 is that it is like pouring treacle in the works, so a return to 95 might be all that is necessary, although I'm told that the slow printing is a recent development (but maybe we're just getting less patient). Will be interesting to see if the printer metrics setting makes a difference, though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am having the exact same problem with four documents sent to us by a client. The average document size is 110k, when I attempt to print (I have tried printing to four different HP printers and printing from both NT4 SP6 and W98) it spools to a size of at least 9MB! The documents contain basic text in a Word table with no shading or borders, there is a Q article Q189893 that is about as much help as a chocolate fireguard that offers some insight into the fact that printing from Word 2000 is slow. I have tired every suggestion made by our Woody's colleagues but none of these work. So if you have managed to source a fix I would be most grateful if you could let me know what you did. Note I have the exact same problem printing the documents in Word97.

regards

John

alterego

I'm glad it's not just me! I know that tables slow things down - large ones really make Word stagger, even when editing. As a matter of interest, how do you measure the spool size?

The printer metrics setting seemed to make little difference (possibly a second quicker, but not really noticeable) so we wiped the lot and started again with Win 95. Everything is now a bit quicker, but I sense that the main problem is still with us. I did notice that the machine has a Zip drive installed as a primary slave (i.e. in parallel with the hard disc) which is probably not ideal, but it doesn't explain why Word is so much slower to print than Excel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I measure the spool size from the progress tab in the Printer queue details.

This problem is OS independent and not printer driver specfic, I have tried printing to a HP 4SI printer, amongst others, and the problem is still the same. It must be something to do with either setting in Word or something in the Word tables, but I cannot see anything obvious!

Thanks

Few more quick points:
    Are you running any AV software?
    On W95/8, I think the spool directory is WindowsSpoolPrinters - it might be worth monitoring that in Explorer when you start to print to see how quickly the spooling starts. (It should be empty normally.)
    Do you do a regular de-frag?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 tables are significantly more complex than those that went before. The ability to nest tables, draw lines at different angles, draw & erase cells, etc. means that even if your table isn't complex, it is. I've noticed slower printing in Word 2000. Sorry I don't have a solution. Your reference to Q189893 shows that they don't have a solution either (for those who haven't looked, the workaround is to buy a different printer).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast