New Lounger
    Thanks

'Build...' option disabled (MS Access 2000)

Hello All,

Last week, while developing a MS Access 2000 database for a client, I had created a bunch of reports (detail, grouping, etc). Everything worked fine. When I was editing database linked fields on the report, I was able to right-click on the field and select "Build..." to edit the field. When I did this on the background of the report, it would automatically bring up the underlying query used to generate the report, and I could modify the query right from there.

Now, this week, while nothing on my machine has changed, the "Build..." option on the right-click context menu is "grayed out" so I can't get the expression builder directly from any of the report fields. I now have to select "properties...data..control source.." and then I can get the expression builder. I also can no longer access the underlying query - I have to select the entire report, select "properties..data..record source.." to get to the query builder.

This is all quite frustrating, and I have been beating my head against the desk for the last two hours trying to find out what changed. I even opened up a backup I had from last week, and the same thing happens. I tried moving the file to another computer, and the same result. I know something changed, blocking access to the expression builder, but I can't find out what.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Hank

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Build...' option disabled (MS Access 2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Really close - I do have SBE 2000 installed, but with Access 2000, not 97. But I did what the workaround said to do, and even rebooted, but it did not change the behavior of the menu. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tip, though!

-Hank

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This sounds like some temporary situation has Access 2K confused - perhaps some stray code running in the background. At least I've seen that behavior a couple of times. In that case it seemed that I could create a new blank database and the menu's all behaved correctly. Also there have been numerous reports of name autocorrect causing weird problems like this. I assume you do have SR1 of Office installed - if not it fixed a bunch of weird problems. Another possibility is that the library DB that contains the builder has somehow corrupted - I've never tried to do a compact/repair on one of those, but in theory it should work. If you resolve the problem, let us know how.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hank

I haven't had that symptom, however other unexplainable problems and I usually do the following:

1. Detect and Repair

2. Open new db and import all objects.

Using a backup and another computer with same results is good detective work, don

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, now I know I'm totally crazy. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the "Build..." option be available from the right-click context menu when wanting to edit a text-box or other database field on the detail band of a report? I've totally uninstalled all MS Office products, cleaned the registry using two different tools, manually removed all MS office registry keys (they are not automatically removed with an uninstall), rebooted, re-installed Access with SR-1a and still I get the same result - the "Build..." menu is disabled.

I finally got fed up, and on a different computer, created a blank partition, installed a totally clean/fresh/standard copy of Win2k, then installed Access 2000 (default options), installed SR-1a, created a new/blank database with one table and four fields, created a report with those four fields, and STILL I GET THE BUILD OPTION DISABLED!! I'm pulling my hair out here, and feel like I have some sort of virus that travels from computer to computer that prevents me from using this one solitary menu option. I know it's possible, since it worked on this machine last week! I've even tried setting the clocks back thinking it was some strange time-related bug (it is MS software afterall!). I'm out of options. I've attached an image of exactly what the problem is..

Please help, although I don't think there is any hope left at this point.

Thanks,

-Hank

New Lounger
    Thanks

The image didn't upload on the last post.. here it is again:
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am only using A97 but my Build works the same as yours does now and as far as I can recall has always worked that way!

Presumably Access does not know which property you are trying to build for!

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Build ... option is disabled because it isn't appropriate for a textbox on a report. If you click on a section of the report, the context menu will offer you a Build Event item that is enabled.

You edit a control in the properties dialog, not with a builder. The builder is used to create event procedures, etc. If you double click the control or right click it and select properties, you'll get the properties dialog. What is it that you're trying to do with a builder?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I understand what you are saying... but for me, the "Build..." context menu used to be active for text boxes and other database bound objects on reports, and it automatically brought up the Expression Builder using the "data" property. I can get to the same place using "properties", but, honestly, it used to work as a shortcut for me last week. I know I'm not imagining things, because it works for weeks, and then one day, it's disabled - and now this seems to be the norm based on what everybody is saying. So now perhaps I had some fluke that enabled something that should not have been enabled all along - so the question is - how did it get that way?

-Hank