4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paper Size (WORD 97/2000)

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain but once again I am asking for your help in defining and using the Paper Size in a template.

I have to cater for two types of 'Paper Sizes' in a new template, i.e. A4 (British ...) and US Letter (US ...). There is an option under Tools|Options|Print tab called 'Allow A4/Letter paper resizing' - which should in effect allow the template designed not to worry about the setting the Paper Size. WORD should automatically cater depending where the document is printed. The questions arise:

1. Is it better to let WORD do the conversion between A4/Letter and set the margins etc

2. Also, does WORD do the conversion when Print Previewing the document.)

3. Ask user to select the Paper Size and define margins etc based on user selection using a macro?

4. Are there any problems letting WORD control the A4/Letter resizing automatically?

I think let WORD do the hard work (why re-invent the wheel - unless there are known problems with it) but my boss thinks that we should reset margins/papersize etc depending on the user printer selection. I have read somewhere that in a 'professional word processing environment - we should control the paper size/margins etc'. Ummm, I wonder.

Thanks for help in advance.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Paper Size (WORD 97/2000)

Robie,

I definitely agree with your boss!
    You're better off explicitly controlling/setting the paper size between A4 and Letter as needed, rather than relying on the print option to allow paper resizing - all that print option does is to scale the document when it prints out, so effectively you get a document that is something like 93% of the size of the original.

It's really easy to put in code, when creating a new document based on a template, to set the paper size to A4 or Letter, and tweak the page margins as well if you wish (to get this code, you can simply record a macro of your taking this action, and then use the relevant bits of recorded code). Code like this would get put into the Document_New procedure (or put into another procedure which gets put into a standard module, and which gets called from Document_New).

As far as how you determine, for a given new document, whether it should be A4 or Letter, that can be trickier. In our firm, our entire NY office uses Letter, while our London office uses A4. We provide a little global dialog that allows our users to indicate which office they are located in; this information gets stored in the Registry. Then when the new document gets created, the Registry setting gets read and the appropriate branch of the page setup code gets executed accordingly.

A simpler implementation of the above is simply to present the user with an option for A4 or Letter, whenever they create a new document - this can be via a userform or just a simple msg box.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your very through comments. My boss will be pleased with the outcome.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just another thing to round out the info: there still is a place for letting Word do the A4/Letter compensating automatically. In the example I gave for our firm, our New York users produce Letter-sized documents and our London users produce A4-sized documents.

If one office needs to send the other a document that will simply be printed for review or distribution, we don't bother changing the underlying paper size settings; rather we just let Word do the autoresize/scale when printing (we leave that setting on as a default). The practical reasons for this are: 1) much less bother, 2) if you change the paper size assignment in the middle of the document's lifespan, it may repaginate, which may not be a good thing in the case of a legal document.

If on the other hand, a London document needs to be copied to start life anew as a New York document, at that point we would change the paper size assignment from A4 to Letter.

Hope this helps,
    Gary