Jon Reckard

Late appointment reminders

Outlook 2000. NT 4.0
    This may be a network or Exchange server issue (and not Outlook), but ...
    My appointment reminders sometimes don't appear until well after the time set. Some have appeared up to 13 minutes after the time I set for the reminder. Others are as early as one minute late. They never show at the exact minute.
    I guess one issue is: whose clock is used - my PC or the Exchange server's? (When I say 13 minutes or 1 minute late, I'm referring to the clock in my system tray.)
    Other network traffic seems to be fast enough - when the guy in the next cube sends me mail, it arrives lickety split.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jon

preed

Re: Late appointment reminders

The reminder will trigger based on your local time. Exit Outlook.
    Select Start | Run
    Enter Outlook.exe /CleanReminders
    This will purge and reload your reminders table.

Jon Reckard

Thanks! Seems to have worked with a quick test reminder.
    1. Is this something that users of earlier Outlook's (prior to Outlook 2000) could benefit from?
    2. I use maybe two to five reminders a day. Is this startup of Outlook something you'd recommend periodically? or even *every* time? (normally once a day for me - left on all day)
    Jon

preed

I wouldn't say it's necessary, daily maintenance. All reminders are stored in a hidden table in your PST or Exchange mailbox. From time to time, this table gets corrupted. Some things contributing to this can be changing your default delivery location, Outlook improperly shutting down, multiple instances of appointments, etc. I generally don't use the command line switches unless I'm experiencing a specific problem. This particular switch is avaiable for all versions of Outlook. Some additional command line switches are attached.

Jon Reckard

Thanks! Great info!

Jon Reckard

Hmmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.
    With my Outlook up for only a few hours, my 4:30 reminder popped up at 4:39.
    Do I need to start with /CleanReminders every couple hours?
    Or is there something else wrong?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jon

preed

Let's try the /CleanFreeBusy swith

"outlook.exe /CleanFreeBusy"

I've run into this before. Also, check your time zone settings. Tools | Options | Calendar Options | Time Zone. I've seen similar problems when the time zone set here is different than that set in COntrol Panel.

Jon Reckard

Well, nothing seems to fix it forever.
    It seems that the problem exists only when my Reminder is set to 0 minutes (in advance).