New Lounger
    Thanks

excel/modules (win98-2/excel 9.0)

i am having similar problem with excel as "wassim" but different module. i believe it has to do with loading the lastest version of IBM client access (last week). however, my question is just what is a module/.dll file? i always thought it was a driver file. can't seem to locate file causing problem on either machine. right now, i am more interested in explanation of modules/dll's and why they give you "details" that don't seem to help anyone?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: excel/modules (win98-2/excel 9.0)

Not sure what problem Wassim is having

1. DLL's

DLL's are Dynamic Link Libraries, are files that contain functions that can be called by other programs. Windows itself is comprised of many of these DLL's. This allows Windows to operate without having to load up all the 'Windows code' at once. Instead it loads DLL's as needed. In many cases the DLL's are available to programmers and VBA coders in the form of the Windows API. Examples of these files are SHELL32.DLL, GDI32.DLL, COMDLG32.DLL etc. .Many other programs use the same approach including MS Office apps like Excel & Word, which come with their own set of DLL's. DLL's cannot be executed directly from the command line.

2. Modules

Modules can exist in any program code including DLL's. But if you are referring to VBA modules (i.e. macro code for Excel, Word etc) then modules are where you store your code, macros and functions etc. Typically a module would consist of a number of interrelated routines.

I'm not sure if any of the above will be of use in solving whatever problem you are having.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanx andrew. now that i have a definition, the next question is with both machines all the sudden getting the same error, do we assume problem is conflict with newly installed software (ibm). one machine wont let in except from document click, my machine gave error once and has been letting me in. we have un- and re-installed office a couple times and win 98-2 also. wassim having conflict with "excel.exe" crashes, while ours is with module "ms09.dll". i still wonder what is the use of giving details of address codes, etc. eg. "invalid page fault.....registers: eax-0000f, etc"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would not describe any thing in the previous post a definition. Just a rough description.

ms09.dll is Object Library for MicroSoft Office 2000.

If you intend reporting crashes and these sort of problems, the information in the messages would be required. Possibly MS people can deduce the problem ffrom the information, or at least a possible cause.

I have no experience if the IBM s/w you installed, and so cannot comment.

It is possible that some conflicts exist between either Excel and the new IBM software aor some AddIns that excel is loading. Try and remove all files from your XLStart folder (back them up) and also try yand diable any AddIns and see if that helps get Excel started.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanx again. i have enclosed the error message. previous messages stated error code didnt help. can you or anyone explain to me in the meantime just what a "invalid page fault" is and what causes it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

attachment did seem to work ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What you are receiving is a fairly standard message when an Excel installation starts becoming slightly unglued. It could be that the IBM product is interacting with one of your existing Add-Ins or macros. In VERY simple terms computer memory is stored in pages. When something is read in or read out but makes no "sense", it is a page fault. On the basis that you want to keep the IBM product, you may wish to troubleshoot, successively, your Add-Ins and the contents of your XLStart folder(s) - removing them all and then adding them back one by one until you start crashing again. HTH
    Gre