paulchannin

Document opening differently

I have a word document that opens differently on different instance of a word installation. The difference is a pagination one - the document fits more words on a page in one instance of word than the other.
    The Word instances are both Word97 SR2.
    * I believe the same fonts are installed on both machines.
    * I thought the normal.dot files might be different. So I copied the nomal.dot from one instance to the other and still get the same issue.

I would really like a check list of things that could cause this difference.

Paul C.

Thanks

Re: Document opening differently

Same default printer?
    I think Word paginates within the printable area of the current printer, so if one has bigger minimum top and bottom margins than the other, you'll get less lines per page.

Thanks

Even if it is the same printer, if computer 2 uses a different printer driver this can cause such a difference.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

paulchannin

Thanks to both the replies - you were right. The issue was the default printer being set differently on the different machines.

Paul C.

Thanks

As an addendum:
    We have a mix of HP4, 5's and 6's here. Each would give slightly different formats, the most annoying being the scaling. For example, an Excel spreadsheet would print out with an identical cell width but on the 5's a slightly bigger row height leading to what was a single page on the 4 becoming a page and 3 rows on the 5.
    (BTW, printing a scaled CAD drawing showed the HP4 to be the only accurate one.)
    After some experimenting I discovered that installing the 5's and 6's as HP4's solved the problem - I now get consistently identical printouts on all.
    [ I need a happy-bunny-icon ]