Lounger
    Thanks

Size of database file???

Hi everyone...

I am fairly new to Access and I have completed two projects recently that were not that large... All of a sudden my system is telling me I'm out of disk space... I looked at the properties of the Database file and it says it's 678MB's... I can't understand that because this database only contains 6 tables, two macros, two reports, one query and two modules... ?? ...It had more in it but I went in and deleted a lot of things as soon as I got the message.... The deletion didn't change the file size with any significance? .... I went into some of the network drives and looked at old database files on there and their sizes... They were maybe half the size (on average) and contain at least three times the amount of objects??? (same amounts of records in the tables).... Anyone have a clue why my database file is so large??

Just checking in case there is a trick or something commonly known by experienced Access Developers... Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can provide...

Have a great day!

Thanks

Re: Size of database file???

Hi Alexya,
    Have you tried compacting the database? (Tools-Database Utilities-Compact and repair database... on an Access 2000 database). You might also go into Tools-Options and on the General tab, check the box marked Compact on Close and uncheck the box marked Track Name AutoCorrect info.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compact your database, (Tools within Access before you open your DB).

NB: You must compact as a different name however so either rename your db first and then compact as the same name or rename afterwards.

Compacting should be done as a regular job. Code to do this automatically can be found on the Internet if you search for it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to compact it and I got an error during the process saying that there wasn't enough disk space?? At that point it won't even let me get out of the error... I could click OK for an eternity and it just pops back up... I end up having to End Task on Access completely... How much of a difference does the compacting make on file size?... Significant?

Lounger
    Thanks

Too weird!!!... I've been trying to compact this thing all day!... All of a sudden, it let me compact the database!?!?... and it went from 678MB's to 220KB's... How is that even possible??? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ... Oh well, I'm not complaining... I am just happy it worked...
    Thanks for your help Rory and Caz!!
    Have a terrific day!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you keep the database on the network for others to use and someone else has it open when you attempt to save a design change (like changing a Form design) or attempt to compact it when someone else has it open, you will get the errors you describe.