Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folder permissions (2000 SR-1)

I have tried to set permissions to my mailbox for a colleague. I want him to have access to my complete mailbox including all folders. I presumed I would set permissions at the mailbox level and he would be able to see all sub-folders beneath mailbox. It would appear however, that I need to both set permission at the mailbox level and for each individual folder that I want him to see.
    Alternatively, I can delegate to him but this only gives him access to the default Outlook folders.
    Is this the way it is meant to work?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder permissions (2000 SR-1)

On an Exchange setup, there's also an issue of getting the permissions setup on the server. HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

yes, it's how it's meant to work, unless the admin gives him send as permissions on the server.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ knows far more about Exchange than I do. I have, however, worked on an Exchange setup where not only did the access permissions have to be set up locally but also be enabled on the server. HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To do what you want the other person has to given account access on the exchange server. That person would then add your mailbox to their services. Their folder view would then display all your folders.

On your approach they could only use file open to open the default folders.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I disagree that my approach will only allow default folders to be accessed. I admit it is very manual but using delegate permission will access default folders and then access could be given to individual folders via properties/permissions.
    As usual searching on "account access" etc. gets me nowhere with Microsoft Help. Can you advise where I set the necessary permissions within Exchange?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you need to give permissions at the Mailbox level (the parent folder), and then FOR EACH AND EVERY SUBFOLDER (including the Inbox) if that's what you want your colleague to access.

We don't have to change any permissions (Exchange/Corporate Workgroup) at the server level. If all the permission levels at the mailbox level don't match, I sometimes have trouble making this work for my users.

Delegate rights only need to be assigned if you want the colleague to have "send on behalf" privileges.

Good luck.