4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending Link by Email (Win XP Pro)

I just formatted and loaded Win XP Pro and for some reason when I File>Send>Link by Email
    it is instead printing in the body of the email "Your files are attached and ready to send with
    this message" and they are; but I want just to have the usual URL hyperlink in the body of the
    email, and send no attachment, particularly since there are so many people and companies
    who won't open attachments even though it is easy for them to viral scan them with the latest
    definition and some virus software does that automatically for incoming and outgoing email.
    I have never seen this happen--can I change this automatically to the old behavior in
    Win 9X and all the Beta versions of XP?

Thanks,

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending Link by Email (Win XP Pro)

If you want to send URL as hyperlink in the body of your e-mail, you must format it as HTML.
    The problem is: some companies' policies restrict e-mails to plain text only, and hyperlink wouldn't work anyway.
    Why you don't want to copy URL from Address bar as it is and paste it into your e-mail?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it was like this in the betas too... the change of the sendmail dll and addition of xml to it removed text urls. to make it worse, outlook blocks them as dangerous.

go to http://www.slipstick.com and search for mailto_url. this gives you right click capabilites, instead of using the file send to menu. You can edit the script or duplicate it, if you often send to specific addresses, to have the to filled in also.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Why you don't want to copy URL from Address bar as it is and paste it into your e-mail?<hr>
    besides the fact older versions of the OS sent a text url, along with the attachment? The message format has nothing to do with whether or not a text url is added. The dll that controls it was changed.

BTW - i've seen reports where replacing the dll with an older version worked, but it never worked for me. mailto_url is so much easier anyway.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MJ--I did that search--very helpful site--but I can't find the item you are pointing me to. Can you give
    me a little help as to which one it is in the list after I do that mail_url search? I am actually trying
    to send the link to hotmail although I know most people use OE and will probably begin using it
    and Outlook more soon.
    I ran XP RC1 for 6 months until a few days ago and it always sent a link into the body of
    a hotmail message although at times it balked at diong it for a while.
    Thanks for the help and the site. Also would replacing the dll with an older version involve a
    regedit?

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb--I am having to paste if I use Hotmail and in OE or Outlook I understand you can insert.
    But up until I loaded XP RTM including RC1--I haven't used RC2--I hobbled along with RC1 for
    a few months--it is just an extra couple steps with Hotmail, and now instead of putting the URL
    directly in the body of a Hotmail message, so that I can put the cursor at the end and make it a
    hyperlink, it puts a sentence in I have to 1) cut out and then paste (no big deal) but it automatically
    confers an attachment on an email that I was trying to avoid and until now could avoid with a simple
    send link that I could convert to a hyperlink with a click. Apparently that functionality is gone in
    Windows XP Build 2600. xp client. 010817-1148 (RTM).
    Thanks,

defrag

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#compose

no registry edit needed to replace the dll, but i don't think the dll is a protected one. if it is, you may need to disable the protection feature. you'll need to find it on an older computer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=blue> Now There's a way to Send Link by Mail in Windows XP</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>_______________________________________ ________________</font color=blue>

The beta RC1 allowed you to send a link by email just as in Win 9X. It must have changed in RC2--I just used RC1 which worked about as well as XP Pro works, and when it it timed out went to XP Pro. There may be significant differences in them, and if you look at the KB 324720:List of Bugs Fixed in Windows XP Service Packs there are now. Diane Poremsky has a new download available on her Tips and Tricks for Outlook Site.

I was searching the Star Posts, and found this thread on it, so I posted it here instead of in the Outlook threads, since it is an issue that was brought about by a Microsoft purported "Security Change" in Windows XP which probably began with RC2 beta but surely is in the RTM's, and this was an XP thread.

The download is a simple Java script by Sig Weber of CDOLive.com[/url] which does send a link by mail in XP and originated from Bill James' idea to copy the page title and url to the clipboard in a script. It creates a registry entry that will add "Send Link by Mail" to the right click context menu in Windows XP. The neat feature is that you can easily edit this script in notepad, even if you don't write scripts or edit them day in day out. You can edit it to be in the subject field with or without a preface line; if you often forward links to the same people, you can add their address to the string. It will work well with all later versions of IE's, Outlook and other email clients. There is a limit to the number of context menu items you can have, but you can customize as many of these scripts as you like. You need to add the registry key to add the context item (see image below):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMenuExtSend Link by Mail]
    @="c:windowswebSend_Mail.HTM"
    "contexts"=dword:00000001

You can get the download at Sending Links by Email in Windows XP. Diane writes it in the context of Outlook, but this problem occurs with any web based or other email client in Windows XP as well. She also has a number of tips to free you from what she calls Outlook Hell:
    <font color=blue>_______________________________________ _____________________________</font color=blue>
    Quote from Diane:

"It's always annoyed many people that sending links by e-mail from any version of IE always included an internet shortcut as an attachment as well as a text URL. It's even more annoying now, since MS decided to remove the ability to send both the shortcut and include the text URL from the Windows XP operating system and replaced it with only an attachment and a text in the message body.

This feature is controlled by a Windows file, sendmail.dll, which was updated and "improved" in WinXP. Unfortunately, the improvement removed the ability to include text URLs. Thanks to OutlookHELL security features, potentially dangerous attachments are blocked and links are considered dangerous attachments. This means sending a shortcut only to an Outlook user is a waste of time, since they can't easily get the attachment off.
    <RANT>
    Since Microsoft has declared these links dangerous, why are the Windows developers even bothering to send these "dangerous" attachments? Shouldn't they send only text URLs for security reasons? Numerous beta testers complained during the WinXP beta test and the complaints were ignored. Bug reports were closed with the notation they would consider it for a future version. So much for their concerns about security. "

</RANT>
    <font color=blue>_______________________________________ ______________________________</font color=blue>

SMBP