5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Illinois Table of Points and Authorities (Word 2000 SR1(a)/XP SP-1)

To all you Law-Environment Word Users... Please do not confuse a Table of Points and Authorities (TOPA) with a Memorandum of Points and Authorities... they're two different beasts! The TOPA is unique to Illinois Briefs.

I know how to create a Table of Authorities (using either native Word and West's CiteLink). I know how to create a Table of Contents. What I'm looking for is the procedure or (ideally) automation to create a TOPA (which is essentially a combination of the two). A sample TOPA can be located on the web at http://www.appellate.net/briefs/Sprietsma.pdf.

In the event you haven't created a TOPA, it has the points, and then the authorities are listed as pertain to that point, in order of most through least suportive of that point. According to Illinois' Rules, the "points" must be the heading text, verbatim (OK, a TOC gives me that). The authorities need to then be isolated by and listed under the point, and ordered by "importance" to the point... nothing like Word's TOA ordering of alphabetical by either case, rule, statute, articles, treatises, etc. It's obvious that the ordering would need to be done by the attorney or paralegal.

What I'm looking for a way to simplify the process and minimize human error up to the point where it is given to the attorney/paralegal for prioritizing.

Help! Please!
    Karen

Thanks

Re: Illinois Table of Points and Authorities (Word 2000 SR1(a)/XP SP-1)

If your document has everything marked, or you generate your Table of Contents from heading styles, it seems you could create a VBA procedure to march throught the document culling out both the TOC and TOA entries in the order encountered and set up a (non-linked) table of that information.

As a non-litigator, and particularly not being familiar with your local rules, I really don't know what which of these field switches (below) is the best match for a TOPA. With further study it should be possible to extract the right stuff, style it correctly based on type, and adjoin a page number.

Hopefully someone has time to go beyond this conjecture and actually build you a solution!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! What I can't believe is that each of the large firms I've contacted in that state (we're Miami based, but have a Chicago office) all take a pretty much manual approach of creating both then copying and pasting.

Some tag the cites with tc codes (level 9) and pretty much say to heck with a ToA feel to the authorities... I've seen numerous examples with several entries for the same citation (sometimes located on the same page even). Argh!
    Karen

Thanks

It turns out to be a bit nastier than I thought to retrieve the formatted contents of the TA field, but it is possible using the clipboard:

<pre>Sub TestFunc()
    Dim myRange As Range
    Set myRange = TALongCite(ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(1).Range.Fiel ds(1))
    myRange.Copy
    With Selection
    .EndKey wdStory
    .Paste
    End With
    End Sub

Function TALongCite(fldTAField As Field) As Range
    Dim myLocalRange As Range, intStart As Integer, intEnd As Integer
    Set myLocalRange = fldTAField.Code
    intStart = myLocalRange.Start + InStr(1, myLocalRange.Text, "l """) + 3
    intEnd = myLocalRange.End - InStr(1, myLocalRange.Text, "s """) - 2
    Set TALongCite = myLocalRange
    TALongCite.SetRange Start:=intStart, End:=intEnd
    End Function</pre>

This test was for a document that contained a TA field in the first paragraph.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jefferson... I'm getting there and your assistance has definitely gotten me going in the right direction. I'll see what I can do over the weekend!
    Karen