New Lounger
    Thanks

make default email (6)

I can't get OE to be my default mail program. am using XP Home. Recently installed Office 97 and included Outlook so I could use the calendar. I think it was working before this. Have uninstalled Office 97 but still no luck. Setting OE to default through Tools, options does not work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: make default email (6)

Are you making this setting within Internet Explorer using "Tool, Internet Options" and then the "Programs" tab, select "Outlook Express" from the drop down list for the 'E-mail' listing. Each time you reinstall Office 97, these settings will be changed back to Outlook 97.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

There aren't any items in the drop down list.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do a "Reset" near the bottom of the same pane, if that does not work do a repair on IE 6.0

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have tried the reset. Can't find where to do a repair on IE. it doesn't exist in the add remove programs list. Tried to reinstall Internet Explorer but tells me I have a newer version. I'm ready to try system restore.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4.

However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%Infie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I ran the statement and now I can have hotmail as my email program in Internet Explorer 6 tools, internet options, programs. I would prefer to have outlook express but do not have this choice. When I am in Outlook Express it always says it is not the default mail program. So I click make default but it does nothing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you by chance running MSN Explorer?

New Lounger
    Thanks

MSN explorer came on my computer but I prefer Internet Explorer. After looking at some newsgroups I see this problem with keeping OE default is a problem. Hope I can solve this soon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have MSN as your ISP and you used MSN Explorer, your account at MSN must use MSN Explorer. Until you get MS to change it for you you can NOT use IE and Outlook as you email and internet access. You will have to call them and have them maked the changes on their end and then make changes on your end.

When one uses MSN Explore one time it screws up your whole account and ALL settings. This is just like AOL they (AOL and MSN) control things from their end.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all help. i have found a fix after watching this same problem come up on several newsgroups.
    My solution was to Start, Run and enter with quotation marks "C:Program FilesOutlook Expressmsimn.exe" /reg

I now have Outlook Express as an email option in Internet Explorer and can make it default from OE, tools, options.

I don't use MSN for internet access but had set it up once just in case I needed dial-up for a back up up my cable service is down.