soapytwo

NTFS vx FAT32 (XP PRO)

MY SYSTEM:

Windows XP PRO
    650 MHz Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop
    256 MB of RAM.
    FAT32 format

Hi there:

I know that NTFS is a more secure OS than FAT32.

I like FAT.

I just found out that FAT32 cannot be installed on a hard drive that is over 32 MB in size.

I know that the drive can be tricked by using a Win98 disk for format, but I don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NTFS vx FAT32 (XP PRO)

First of all, it is not true that FAT32 cannot be installed on a hard drive that is over 32 MB in size. Size limit for FAT32 is 4 TB (tetrabytes), or 4,000,000 MB. Your hard drive is probably 3 to 6 GB (gigabytes), or 3,000 to 6,000 MB. Windows XP itself requires 1.6 GB ( 1600 MB) for basic installation.

Second, Windows XP does not suppor real DOS anymore. Your DOS games under Windows XP use DOS emulation, or Windows program pretends to be DOS for your games.

So, if you "don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can certainly bring up a command prompt (Start | Run, and then type cmd) regardless of whether your disk drive is formatted in NTFS or FAT32. I do it quite regularly both in XP and Windows 2000. NTFS provides much greater security, but it provides that regardless of whether you are using DOS commands or normal Windows.

Whether you can play any particular games is dependent on whether they are compatible with XP. To my knowledge, as long as you have the accesses set up appropriately (and you may need to be administrator), if a game runs in XP it will do so regardless of the format of the drive that it is on.

soapytwo

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WyllyWylly on 08-Mar-02 14:12.</P>Hi:

I'm sorry. I said 32 MB. It should have been 32GB. Here's what i found at the MS knowledge base. I have also included the link. Am i misinterpreting this?

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

NOTE : When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error message:

Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big.

Here's the link to it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/previe...b;en-us;Q314463

Edited by WyllyWylly to add URL markup

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW, I have played a few aging DOS games under XP. AMond them: the classic Doom. No problems.

Where you will encounter problems is using DOS programs that attempt to directly access the hardware in the system. That's a no-no in NT/2K/XP and the program will bomb.

All "DOS" programs - 16 bit, more precisely - will share the same thread and run under the sam NTVDM instance unless you enable the "Run in separate memory space" option for the run dialog.

If you've a large hard disk, NTFS will likely make better use of it. For one it will not waste as much space in slack as does FAT32. The down side is that if something tanks on your one-partition system, you can't boot with a floppy and get into the contents of the hard drive.

The file system will have no impact on the programs you are running unless they are low level disk-maintenance and checking programs.

HTH...
    -Mark

soapytwo

Hi:

I'm sorry. I said 32 MB. It should have been 32GB.
    Here's what i found at the MS knowledge base. I have
    also included the link. Am i misinterpreting this?

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes
    (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the
    Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount
    and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject
    to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32
    volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during
    Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger
    than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it.
    Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows
    98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup
    disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

NOTE : When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition
    that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error
    Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big.

Here's the link to it: http://support.microsoft.com/search/previe...b;en-us;Q314463
    Edited by WyllyWylly to add URL markup