3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Media not recognized

I'm using Win 98. I've had a message that I've never seen before when printing pictures from floppies. The disk comes from our digital camera. Co-workers give me the disk and I print the pictures. I do that two different ways. I open Word>Insert>Picture>File. Then go to the A drive. I received this message: "A is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted." I then tried the disk by selecting My Computer>A Drive. This is the message I received: "The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes/No"
    I have never seen either of these messages. I know how to retrieve the pictures from a floppy and print them but beyond that...
    Thanks for any help.
    Pam

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk Media not recognized

You've apparently tripped over one of the evils of floppy disks. If the read/write heads in one floppy drive are slightly off, another drive may have trouble reading it.

Try taking the disk to another computer and opening My Computer and then the A: drive. If the second computer can't use the disk, the contents are most likely gone for good. You could try formatting it if you can't recover the data - another common issue with these disks is that you can't use it in one place but you can in another....but once you format it on a "normal" drive, it works.

Good luck!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk Media not recognized

I tried the disk at another computer with the same problem. So I guess the pictures are lost. Thanks for your explanation, Mark. We'll start over with a new disk.