Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair MSIE (5.5)

I am in disagreement with some co-workers at our ISP. We have an installation CD which contains MSIE 5.01 and an older Netscape, along with several utilities. Several times, customers have been told that their MSIE (usually 5.5) seems to be "corrupted", and that if they (customer) will come get one of the CD's, that it will fix their MSIE and get them back online.
    Can you "fix" 5.5 with 5.01? I would think that there could be dll conflicts, etc. I think there is a newer cd, but we have been told to use up all the old ones...which also install old/incorrect dns #'s.
    David C.
    David Carter

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repair MSIE (5.5)

Hi David
    Whenever I've tried this sort of thing, the iE installation stops with a message to the effect that 'the version you are installing is older than the current version'. To roll back to a previous version normally requires the re-installation of the Windows OS with it included.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repair MSIE (5.5)

Thanks, Mel. Good to hear from you again. That is what I keep saying; not to mention a possible fatal "blending" of dll's, etc. It's really exciting to talk to a customer who has been told to install 5.01 over 5.5 to "fix" his MSIE (gr). A lot of the guys here say you CAN repair 5.5 with 5.01, but seem to lacking the details as to "how"!
    David C.
    David Carter