sjohnson

Managing large tables in Word2000

We use large tables (with autonumbered rows) in pleading indexes (sometimes 30 or more pages long) that need to be managed (i.e. rows deleted, rows added, rows sorted, rows moved, etc.)that seem very bulky to manipulate in Word2000. Typing text into a large table sometimes takes a long time to "catch up." Any solutions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Managing large tables in Word2000

Um... use Excel?

Is there a real need to use Word here? Is excel a better tool, especially when resources start to get seriously hogged?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First, I agree with Geoff.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Many items that we used to use Word Processors for are handled much better in a spreadsheet, and Excel is not difficult to use.

Second - typically I find the difficulties with large tables to result from them having been either first converted from WordPerfect, or the template having been created from a WP mind-set (linear and not object-oriented).

That said, you may be able to improve performance by (a) resetting your autorecover setting to something less frequent (tools / options / save); ( turning off background repagination (tools / options / view)... you can see how the pages break by using print preview; and not using the print layout view to edit, but use normal (view / normal).

HTH
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm familiar with Word being object oriented but I'm not quite sure I follow your reference in this instance of WP mind-set and linear vs. object-oriented when referring to tables. However, knowing that each format marker - which would be the little sunburts in table cells - carry formatting codes, each row has the number of columns times the number of rows of formatting codes carried along in it and therefore, the document according to Word is much larger than it seems. Is that perhaps what you are referring to?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're correct. I know that many of our original templates (including [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] docket sheet) contained (a) unnecessary (or unnecessarily complex) macros for insertion of new records; and ( direct formatting principles instead of style-based principles.

To illustrate, I can hypothesize that you have 5 columns (number, date, party, description, response due):

<font color=008080>
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This gives me a good tack to analyze the documents in question. Thanks. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]