Lounger
    Thanks

FrontPage 2000 Security

Our website resides on an NT 4.0 Server through an ISP with current FrontPage 2000 Extensions. I wish to secure various pages with unique passwords. I go through the security tab under the Tools drop down menu and click on Permissions. It gives me a list of Users from the ISP's Server to choose from. I wish to be able to add users and permissions for my own web site. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: FrontPage 2000 Security

Gee, tell me your ISP's name and i'll hack it immediately! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Seriously though, you should not be able to add users and passwords via NT. This would seriously compromise your ISP's security, as you would be adding new users to their network. Typically, you would be running a separate DB (that you could administer personally). The DB could be held in anything and your website could connect to it via a Java or Perl script.
    I've gone temporarily blank on sources for you - I'm hoping another lounger will cut in.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this I realize. My ISP also hosts a different domain for me on a Unix Server (with FP2000 extensions) and it allows me to add users to unique permissions on subfolders. I was hoping that there was some way to create a list of users and administrate them myself, as I can on my other Unix based domain. I was hoping beyond hope that using an NT Server with FrontPage 2000 that I would get maximum flexibility in this area.

...then I wake up, shake my head and remind myself that I'm dealing with Microsoft.

Thanks

Well, if it was an intranet you'd be very happy right now....
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile