Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Boot restore problems (pro)

Hi All,
    I have a problem with a computer on my network.

It is a Dell workstation which originally came with 98se. It had a decent size hard disk so I split the drive into 2 partitions and installed xp pro on the second partition leaving a working dual boot comp.

Unfortunately the user managed to mess up the 98 side. Although xp would load fine, 98 would report missing disk on startup.

I used a 98 startup disk and as I could not see all the sys files on the c: drive I copied the sys files to the c drive. Obviously not the correct answer as I can no longer start xp.

The dual boot menu no longer appears and it boots into 98 instead.

Help !

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual Boot restore problems (pro)

You'll need to boot with the XP CD-ROM, and when it comes to the firs screen, select "Repair." You want to perform a boot-sector repair - I believe the text reads "Inspect boot sector". This will restore the dual-boot functionality.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately Mark, previously to posting here I had tried booting the comp using the cd, just as you said, pressed R for repair but I said no to fixing the boot sector !!!!

Now I boot from the cd and get as far as repair and I am given a command prompt with a set of commands open to me to fix the comp.

Is it Fixboot or fixbootmbr by any chance?

the comp is still loading win98 at startup on c: , the D: drive can be seen from win98 as I left it in fat32 for this very reason...

Any ideas ??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

From the Recovery Console, FIXBOOT should do what you need it to. Quite frankly I prefer the Recovery Console for things like this anyway. Some more information for your reference - I nicked the following excerpt from Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console (Q229716), since it (the command line interface) is almost identical to the XP version.

FIXBOOT
    fixboot drive name :

Use this command (where drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written) to write the new Windows boot sector code on the boot partition. This command fixes problems where the Windows boot sector is corrupted. The Emergency Repair process also fixes the boot sector. This command overrides the default of writing to the system boot partition.

FIXMBR
    fixmbr device name

Use this command (where device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that needs a new MBR) to repair the master boot record (MBR) of the system partition. This command is used in scenarios where a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

WARNING : This command has the potential to damage your partition tables if a virus is present or a hardware problem exists. This command may lead to inaccessible partitions. Microsoft suggests running antivirus software before using this command.

The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. If this is left blank, the boot device's MBR is fixed, for example:

fixmbr deviceharddisk2

If Fixmbr detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, it prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark,

This appears to have solved the problem but returns me to my original problem.
    Excuse me explaining the obvious but I will expand further on the setup

C: = 98 orig drive
    d: = xp drive
    e: = cdrom

I used fixboot c: and this restored the dual boot menu.
    ( While tinkering with bootcfg previous to me posting here I inadvertently added several other xp bootup menu choices, which I'd really like to get rid of. So If you know of a way I'd be grateful)

However the windows 98 option on the bootup menu still reports missing system disk !
    I have started the comp with a 98 startup disk and restored the system files to c: (using sys c: )
    And that brings me back full circle.

Question is is this xp or 98 ??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. Restore Win XP boot manager
    2. Boot to Windows
    3. Open BOOT.INI file in the c: root
    3. Edit it like this (this is an example, your configuration can be different):

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C: = "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"

Also make sure that all this files are present in c: root:

boot.ini
    command.com (92 KB)
    io.sys (218 KB)
    msdos.sys (2 KB)
    ntdetect.com
    ntldr

Also make sure that io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com are not 0 KB in size. If so, copy them from Windows 98 Boot Diskette to c: root.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried all you said.
    However each time I use the xp recovery console and fixboot c: to restore xp menu and op sys, I am unable to select 98 and it reports

"Missing System Disk
    press any key to continue"

Below is the contents of the msdos.sys file.
    I have amended the bootmulti option to 1, but still it failed.

I can restore use of 98 but i have to boot up a 98 startup disk and copy sys files to c:

[Paths]
    WinDir=c:windows
    WinBootDir=c:windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

[Options]
    BootWin=1
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    DoubleBuffer=1
    ;
    ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    ditto
    ending with
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.10.2222

Any more ideas ?

Lounger
    Thanks

When you said
    2. Boot to windows
    which one did you mean ??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP, sorry about it.

Also make sure bootsect.dos is present.

Lounger
    Thanks

Bootsect.dos is present

It must be a boot config problem as each time I run a win98 startup disk and " sys c:", win98 normal service is resumed.
    So the system files must be ok.
    Perhaps the win98 system files were corrupted while using xp and all I'm doing is restoring win98 system files not configured for xp ... in some way..... or other.. !! ?
    ???

Am I facing an XP reinstall ??