New Lounger
    Thanks

Favourites & Start Menu Mixed (Win 98 IE 5.5)

I've a person who has managed to "replace" her favourites with the Windows start menu. The browser is currently ignoring the C:windowsfavourites folder & replaces it with the contents of C:windowsstartmenu. This folder is marked as a favourite with the blue asterisk & appears if you select favourites.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this. Things i've tried so far have included : repairing IE; reinstalling IE. Adding the favourites to the start menu (this does have the desired effect but still retains the start menu items).

Any ideas about how it happened as well would be most appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Favourites & Start Menu Mixed (Win 98 IE 5.5)

I doubt we will figure out how it happened, but let's try to fix this anyway.

Where exactly do you mean? There are several places where you can access the "Favorites" folder. There are:

1) The Start Button -- usually below Programs and above Documents.
    2) The "IE Explorer bar" -- that narrow left window pane when you open IE and click the "Favorites" button of the IE Tool bar.
    3) The "Favorites" menu command on the IE Menu bar.
    4) In Windows Explorer when you navigate to C:WindowsFavorites.

Which one or more of these are you talking about?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick response.

The favourites folder on the start menu currently replicates the programmes button. The favourites being displayed in IE are also replicating the programmes button both via the toolbar & via the menu.

The C:windowsfavourites folder contains the favourites as required. I've added this to the start menu folder under c:windows and this has added the favourites but this is a very messy solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but just to clarify -- is it the Start menu or the Programmes menu that is displayed when you access Favourites via these pathways? And what is your OS?

Also, do me a few favors (or is that favours?). [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] We need to go spelunking into your registry.

1) Open the registry editor (Start button | Run | regedit).
    2) Look into the follow keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer
    -- look for any reference to Favorites there -- e.g., NoFavoritesMenu.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerMenuOrderFavorites
    -- make sure the folders in here look like the folders that are in your Favourites folder as seen through Windows Explorer.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders
    -- make sure "Favourites" points to your Favourites folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerUser Shell Folders
    -- make sure "Favourites" points to your Favourites folder.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInterface{55136804-B2DE-11D1-B9F2-00A0C98BC547}
    -- this should have at least 3 sub-keys ProxyStubClsid, ProxyStub32Clsid, and TypeLib. The first two should have this value: {00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}. The TypeLib should have this: {EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B} and a Version number (1.1).

Then, it looks like this is the NameSpace key for the Favourites folder:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{1A9BA3A0-143A-11CF-8350-444553540000}
    -- this should be where all the "shortcuts" to the Favourites folder should be pointing, It has three sub-keys: DefaultIcon (@=C:WINDOWSSYSTEMshell32.dll,-173), InProcServer32 (@=C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSHELL32.DLL, ThreadingModel = Apartment), and ShellFolder (Attributes).

This is should get us started...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your reply its taken a while to investigate as our system policy turns off the run & regedit commands, so i've had to apply to have these turned on- v helpful. The keys you suggested though have solved the problem.

The HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerMenuOrderFavorites I've changed to reflect the folders in C:WindowsFavorites

The HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders & User Shell Folders were both set to C:windowsStart MenuPrograms so I changed these to C:WindowsFavorites

The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT settings were set as you had described.

I've made the changes as described above & rebooted the system & both Favoorites & the Start Menu now seem to be behaving as I would expect & most importantly independently.

Many thanks for your time & detailed instructions with this they've been of great assistance.