2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Typed URL in the address bar (ie6)

I am looking to clean up the typed URL in the address bar when Windows XP starts. I would like to use a clean up utility software but I can't find the place where ie stores this typed URL. Somebody knows where they are hidden?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Typed URL in the address bar (ie6)

They are in your registry and/or your History folder. But first, let's look at your options:

From Fred Langa:
    "Because that simpler form of URL-completion derives from IE5 History files, you can try to manage that list via Tools/Internet Options/Clear History. Or if you have Tweak UI (which we've mentioned many times in recent issues), you can select the "Clear IE History At Logon" item under the "Paranoia" tab. But both these options may not eradicate *all* entries, while the two solutions I offered (involving direct manipulation of the History folder and/or and the TypedUrls item in the Registry) do."

His earlier newletter said:
    "Some URLs are stored in the windowshistory folder. If you can't delete URLs there any other way, a boot to DOS and a Deltree will do it for sure!

Other URLs are stored in the registry key
    hkey_current_user/software/microsoft/internet explorer/typed urls

One fairly easy solution is to run RegEdit (Start/Run/RegEdit) and navigate directly to that "typed urls" sub-branch, and edit the URL(s) you don't want. Or, use RegEdit's Find function to search for all instances of whatever offending URL you want to delete."

It sounds like TweakUI may be the way to go. You can also set your History "Days to keep in History" to a very low number (Tools|Internet options).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all this information.

I will try each option and find the best one for me.

Regards,

Marcel.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There is another .vbs file that does a very nice job of deleting Typed URL's. I really thought I got it from Fred Langa's newletter, but of course I cannot find it when I want to...

This MAY be the same thing:
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/mru.html

Look towards the bottom for "Clear Typed URL MRU.vbs". If I find out anything else, I'll be back!