Lounger
    Thanks

Crash on Close (Office 2000/Windows 2000)

We recently upgraded from Office 97/NT to Office 2000/Windows 2000 (several hundred users). We have company wide templates stored in a shared network location and our users have their Workgroup Templates location pointed to this folder. Several of these templates are attached to an Excel customer file which is created daily from the 'main computer'. Some are attached to this same customer file only it is formatted as a Word table. All of these templates worked perfectly in 97/NT. Since the 2000 upgrade (not to mention that everything is much slower), many people are getting a Program Error "WINWORD.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created" when they close documents created using the templates that are attached to the Excel file.

This error has been hard to pin down because it doesn't happen all of the time and some people don't have this error at all or very rarely. Some people get the error every time except when you stand and watch them. We have tried all kinds of repairs, re-installs etc. Today, I created a similar template attached to a different Excel file and put it in the Workgroup template folder. When I chose File ->New and picked the template, used the Find Record to find the customer I wanted and closed. I got the error. Finally, I could recreate the error. If I use the same templates from Explore or from the Desktop, I don't get the error. I have asked a few of our users to move their templates to their desktop to see if that helps. No word on whether that helped yet.

Has anyone had this experience with workgroup templates that are attached to an Excel file? Does this type of error ring a bell with anyone? Moving the templates to the desktop is a workaround at best. It is really frustrating. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joanne

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crash on Close (Office 2000/Windows 2000)

I recently upgraded to Windows 2000 then Office 2000, and immediately began experiencing Word crashes upon closing documents (see thread "Template Crashes Word (Word97sr2 (win2000))" from January 9, 2002).

The consensus seems to be that there's a known "issue" involving custom toolbars. Read through the replies to that thread--one kind person even offered some code that would automatically close any toolbars before closing the document or program. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're experiencing, but the posts might be useful.

My solution was simply not to use the custom toolbars. My work takes longer, but if my employer really cared about that, I wouldn't be using Windows and Microsoft products anyway.

Good luck!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Anne....yes, there are custom toolbars for these particular templates. Unfortunately, the button we have put on the custom toolbars are required for these particular templates. But, thanks for the heads up.

Joanne

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joanne,
    Go take a look at the thread I mentioned, then contact Ruth for her code (hers were the last posts in the thread). That way, you might be able to keep your custom buttons but avoid having everyone crashing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Anne,

I was interested in looking back at that thread, but cannot readily find it via search - can you post a link or some searchable text from it?

We use a number of custom toolbars in our Word 2000 environment, and have never had issues with Word crashing when closing documents, so either it happens in some environments and not others, or else there is some other cause.

Joanne, forgive my ignorance but what is meant by a template being attached to Excel file (obviously a feature I've never worked with <g>) - how is this done and what are the benefits? Without knowing more about it, this sounds like something that could cause Word to behave badly.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

We sort of cheat with our templates. We have about 1100 stores that are our "customers". Using the Mail Merge feature, we have turned letters, memos, fax cover pages, purchase orders etc. into mail merge 'main documents' and the data source is an Excel file which is updated daily and put into the same location. These templates are actually Main documents attached to a data source. When someone chooses a letter template for example, they use the Find Record icon to find the customer they want. Using the View Merged Data icon, the correct customer is displayed. They type their letter and print (or fax etc.) If they need to send this letter to another customer, they just click Find Record and find the customer. The letter is already created, the new address pops in so it is ready to print. It's great because there is only one data source file and it is always up to date. It also saves ALOT of typing.

Merging is a very basic feature of any word processor and this all worked perfectly fine in Office 97.

Does that explain things?

I just did a search on Template Crashes Word and I found the thread. Thanks.

Joanne

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem including Excel and Access and searched all over but got nowhere. I reloaded Office a couple of times and got the same problem. I ended up erasing every single Office directory and subdirectory and then re-installing. I've had no problems since.
    I suspect it's a loading problem.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by gwhitfield on 15-Mar-02 06:59.</P>Hyperlinks added

Here's the url of the thread (I think): http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...488&fpart=1

After searching "help" and "FAQ" and emailing loungeadmin, I've been unable to figure out how to insert a link in a post. Sorry...

Anyway, the phrase "custom toolbar buttons" occurs in the original post, which may help you locate the thread.

Did I ever mention that the crashing problem is only intermittent?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Joanne,

Thank to you (and Anne) for posting the link back to that thread. I've never had the problem with custom toolbars causing Word to crash, but if it is happening for someone and they can prevent it using code, glad to hear it. Presumably Ruth was talking about making the toolbar visible/not visible as opposed to "opening/closing" it...

Thanks also for the explanation of your use of the merge feature - sounds like an effective system. I'm of no use whatever in troubleshooting this - it's a feature I've never used.

Gary