Thread: Hanging Palm Vx

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hanging Palm Vx

Help! My Palm Vx crashed, so I reset it using the 'Reset' button on the back.
    Usually when I do this, it takes a couple of seconds to come back, asks me whether I want to re-install my hacks and then I'm back in.
    However, this time, it just stays on the 'Palm Computing Platform' splash screen and doesn't do anything else, as if it's crashed again. Successive presses of the reset button on the back simply get me to the hung splash screen again.
    Has anyone seen this before and can anyone suggest a remedy? Or has my poor old Vx died for good?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hanging Palm Vx

You can try a hard reset. Hold down the power button while depressing the reset button on the back of the unit. This should restore it to factory default. You'll have to hotsync to get everything back.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like you need to do a hard reset. I hope you've been using a backup program, like BackupBuddy, because you're going to lose all of your records and entries and third party applications. Here's how:
    1. Hold down the power button.
    2. While holding down the power button, press the reset button on the back.
    3. When you get the Palm Powered logo screen, release the power button. You will get a warning that all of your stored data is about to be erased.
    4. Press the Scroll Up button on the front panel and your handheld will do a hard reset.

Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've managed to the solve the problem, but thanks to both of you for your replies. I should have mentioned that I already tried a hard reset as well as a soft reset.

In the end, it turned out be caused by the contrast button being 'stuck down'. I used my finger nail to prise the edge of the contrast button up, thus 'unsticking' it. Then I tried the soft reset again and it worked fine!

The tricky thing is that you can't actually see the contrast button stuck down, the difference between it being depressed and not depressed is hardly visible. I only guessed that this was the problem, because I was just pressing all the buttons on the unit to try and provoke a reaction, and I noticed that I couldn't feel the slight 'click' the contrast button gives when you press it, so I guessed it might be stuck and hey presto - it did the trick!

Thanks again,