3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut arrows return! after Mar7 critical update

My shortcut icons have not had the arrow overlay since time immemorial, by my choice.
    Today, after I installed the windows update "critical update", dated March 7, those arrows reappeared!!
    I checked TweakUI, at the "explorer" tab, and that still had "none" for the shortcut icon overlay.
    I tried changing that back and forth and applying, and that had no effect.
    I tried editing the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile (and same with piffile), and making sure
    those values were nul (""), or deleting the name altogether. None of those things worked.
    I tried fixing the registry using regclean, and then (in dos) using scanreg /fix /opt,
    and that also made no difference. those arrows persist.
    Anyone have a similar experience, or an idea for what it might mean and how to deal with it?
    (I suppose the march 7 critical update might or might not be significant, though this happened
    immediately after the install, at the required restart)
    Thanks for any comments,
    Gideon
    ------------------- begin postscript -------------
    i should have done my homework: this phenomenon has already generated quite a number
    of posts in various newsgroups. it is indeed an effect of the march 7 patch, and as of this writing
    (March 12 evening) i don't see that there's any definitive solution or any definitive rationale
    for MS doing this to us. some ways of undoing this might, who knows, undo part of the security
    that the patch is trying to give us. underline "who knows". MS has had several days to respond
    to the posts, and apparently has not.
    G

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut arrows return! after Mar7 critical update

Suggest you might read this VDr thread particularly those posts relating to replacing the WindowsSystem file, shell32.dll V4.72.3812.600 dated 12/6/01 (if that's what you have), with shell32.dll V4.72.3612.1700 dated 4/23/99. It looks as though this could be what has been causing the problems

The only trouble I had was with the shortcut arrows which I was able to easily correct. However, after going to other Boards and finding people there also posting about problems being experienced following installation of the patch, I decided to take no chances and used GoBack to revert my drive to before the installation. . FYI I have Windows 98SE and the shell32.dll file that is in my WindowsSystem folder is V4.72.3612.1700 dated 4/23/99.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This is a well known problem with the update. Open regedit and delete the "IsShortcut" value for these two keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpiffile
    HKEY_CLAASES_ROOTlnkfile

This first one is for DOS shortcuts within Windows (like batch files) and the second is for Windows shortcuts. The second one is "LNKFILE" -- in case it is hard to read.

Removing the "IsShortcut" value gets rid of the little arrows. If you find any more, search your registry for any more "IsShortcut" values and delete them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to imply in my original post that I had tried the explicit registry editing that you suggest,
    and that it doesn't work. It turns out that quite a number of others have had the same experience,
    judging by the usenet postings. I didn't try looking for other IsShortcut keys though, as the last post
    also suggests. It's too late now, as I became impatient and simply obtained and installed
    the old shell32.dll, thus removing my problem (but possibly also removing some of the protection
    afforded by the fix MS gave us -- what do I know?). I'm not going to check to see what the registry was
    before I did that. If someone knows about what the MS "fix" did to the registry and whether that included
    putting additional IsShortcut items in there, please complete this thread by telling us,
    and I, for one, would be grateful for the info. I'm still a wee irritated at MS not letting the world know
    exactly how they messed us up. (Silly me?)
    gideon/yerubal

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your post does not specifically mention the "IsShortcut" value:

"I tried editing the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile (and same with piffile), and making sure those values were nul (""), or deleting the name altogether."

The "Values" for IsShortcut are ALWAYS null, and "deleting the name altogether" is not very descriptive -- what name?

Of note, several users have found that this DOES work -- please see the posts here:

(Win98) MS02-014 vs. TweakUI's Shortcut Control

MS Security Bulletin MS02-014/win98se

I will save you the time and post some of the responses:

"That be the Real Deal"

"This is the fix...............thanks ever so!!!!!"

"Got it. Thank you R2. Took me a little while though. I thought lnkfile was inkfile. I was looking at the lowercase L as uppercase i. Thanks for your help!"

"Thanks for the tip, btw."

May I also refer you to this:
    Removing Arrow on Shortcut Icons (Q126631)

So.... you can continue to believe it does not work. BUT... for anyone else out there, it works absolutely fine.

As a side note, I must strongly recommend against changing a .dll file to one that is not designed to work on your computer. Mixing different versions of .dll is never recommended by Microsoft and this is one of the causes of "DLL Hell". You may have no problems and be lucky. Or maybe not.

I refer you to this classic article on DLL Hell by Rick Anderson of the Microsoft Corporation:
    The End of DLL Hell

So you may be comfortable with your solution, but I cannot recommend it to other users. Sorry.

RMRucker
    R2 @ dslreports

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apologies and thanks to RMRucker. I'm not sure what I did originally that didn't work.
    I thought (and wrote in my notes to myself, and think I recall) that I did do (inter alia)
    just what you suggested, and it didn't work. BUT, judging from what you offer,
    I almost certainly must have done something different.
    And, then, against my better judgment, I replaced the dll, and trusted to luck.
    I'm not always good at handling frustration and annoyance. And I probably got away with it, this time.
    To RM, thanks for your original contribution and also for troubling to follow through
    with the constructive foregoing post.
    I hope that I haven't misled anyone, meanwhile. Apologies for not being more careful.
    best,
    gideon/yerubal

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to come down like a lead hammer, but we have over 50,000 registered members at DSLR. If I make a mistake, I will be notified of it very quickly. That fact that my recommendation was able to slide by AND be effective makes it very unlikely that it is incorrect. But, anything is possible... Good day.