JamesP

Possible .ldb problems

I have been experiencing some intermittent problems the database in the last few weeks. The problems have been of the nature of being unable to compress, create .mde files and automation errors. I have been able to find my way around them all though I have never truly found that cause. I was reading something in this forum about orphaned .LDB files. Our data base exists on a server and in it

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Possible .ldb problems

I would start by finding out who Access thinks has the file open. Right click on the LDB file and quick view. This will show you the name of the user.

Then get that user to open and close the relevant database.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

JamesP

I will try that Dave!
    Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, if you're using Access 2000, you may find that the person who placed the lock does NOT have the database open. The only cure I've found for these it to use the task manager to end the Access process that is still running in memory. On a workstation, that's fairly safe. I don't know whether it would be on a server or not. However, the other alternative is to log off of Windows (not restart, just log off and back on) ... unless your server is running services that require it to be logged on, of course.
    Charlotte

JamesP

Thanks guys!
    Though they will not shut down this server. To important. Though I have been with out trouble for a better part of a week, so mayby it isn't that pesty file.
    Thanks again!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just keep in mind, you can log off of Windows without shutting down the server. Start-->Shutdown-->Close all programs and log on as a different user. That selection with log off of Windows and take you back to the login screen. That's enough to shut down a process that can't otherwise be ended.
    Charlotte