dr.grba

Office 2K SP-2 problem

I had some problems during Office 2000 SP-2 applying. It turned to work so long (approx. 15 minutes or so), making me suspicious about what's going on. So I made a final mistake: I have terminated the procedure.

SP-2 didn't apply, and my Office 2K installation is now stuck. Not even that I can't apply SP-2 again, but I can't even use 'Detect and Repair' tool anymore! Certainly, I've tried to apply total restoration from Office 2000 Install disk, but it also turned me down.

It's clear that I need to reinstal whole Windows 95 (which is the current OS there), but I'm interesting to realize what has happened. Fortunately for me, I have an multiboot system, and my NT 4 system works properly, and SP-2 also has been applied OK.

What gives? Any idea?

Note: SR-1 was applied properly. System was clear to receive new application; even my antivirus software has been stopped.

Cheers!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2K SP-2 problem

delete the patches key

might work better if i include the key [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionInstallerPatcthes

look thru there, should be one for both the SR and SP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does removing this key "undo" the effects of the SR1/SR1a and SP2 so that they have to be reinstalled again? Have been curious how to do that if the result was not desirous after installation and thought it to be not possible, so I am hopeful this could be the key I've been looking for.(pardon the pun). [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

yes and no.

it will make the installer think it's not been installed so you can rerun install but it doesn't remove the effects of upgrade. ie- it won't undo the effects of outlook security patch.

it really only should be used if you think your upgrade didn't complete correctly. if you aren't happy with the upgrade, you'll need to uninstall office and reinstall after deleting the upgrade files from your hard drive. (I forget the location offhand, maybe c:windowsdownloaded files)