New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing HTML text/pic Into Word (Word 97 )

I saved a file in Word's HTML format and then pasted a part of a web page (containing text and a picture) into that file. Even in Page Layout View, the picture does not display.

How do you post HTML text and pics from, say, a newpaper article, into Word, so that everything displays?

Thanks

Re: Importing HTML text/pic Into Word (Word 97 )

One problem with pasting HTML into Word is that most links and image tags use relative URLs (e.g., SRC="/images/mypic.jpg"), and Word doesn't know what they are relative to. You can fix them up yourself if you remember the path to the page, but it's nitpicky work.

Try using File|Open... and opening the news URL directly. Sometimes you get an error that you only can open it read-only (which is fine). If you want to capture the image locally, the easiest way is to wait until Word retrieves all the images, then select all (Ctrl+a) and convert the fields to embedded pictures (Ctrl+Shift+F9). I'm not 100% certain, but I think when you Save As HTML, Word will export the images with a local path. It's worth a shot.

(By the way, in Word 2000, the HTML pasting is better integrated, for better or for worse. When you don't want to paste HTML you have to use Paste Special!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing HTML text/pic Into Word (Word 97 )

Thanks. I'll work on your advice. Appreciate the time you gave to this.