New Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion to word 97 (word 97)

Hi all,

I'd like to know if there is a conversion-add in for Word 97 to read Word 2000 and XP documents.

Greetz,

Jos

Thanks

Re: Conversion to word 97 (word 97)

None is needed. All three use the same file format. That said, in the higher-numbered versions there is a feature to disable features not supported by Word 97. Two that come to mind are the number of colors and nested tables.

Otherwise, you could download the latest Word viewer from Microsoft to be sure that what you see when you open the document in Word 97 is what was saved in a later version.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,

Thanks for the rapid answer! Do you by any chance have an idea about conversion trouble with the other office applications like Excel and Powerpoint?

Regards,

Jos

Thanks

Sorry, I do not have any information. You might check in those forums. My uneducated guess is that the situation is similar, that upward conversions go relatively smoothly but that items prepared in one of the later versions may have trouble being used in an earlier version. I know that there are small but very real differences in the VBA for each version. Those only become important if you are programming.

One solution would be to use the PowerPoint / Excel viewers available from Microsoft. (I am assuming that they provide such things like the Word viewer.) Certainly with PowerPoint, the idea is to allow others to view your presentation, not change or manipulate it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin