2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ethernet Card Install Problem

I've had a D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Ethernet Card for a year. I'm running Windows 98SE. At least 3 times I've reformatted my hard drive and done a clean install of Windows 98 with no problem. When it comes to the Ethernet card, Win 98 SE doesn't auto-recognize, but the install is fairly simple.

I go to Systems in control panel, choose device manager, and refresh. I get the "Windows has found..." box about an Ethernet card. I then pop in the floppy, and it loads the drivers off of it. Then I'm prompted for the Windows 98SE CD, which I pop in. It grabs the files I need, and I'm off to the races.

I've done this at least 6-7 times, with the exact same events each time, no problem.

Yesterday I upgraded my modem. I had an old Motorola SM56 PCI modem. I removed it, did a reformat and clean install of Windows, then installed a new U.S. Robotics 56K PCI Fax Modem. It installed like a charm. Comes the time to install my ethernet card, and everything goes fine until I'm prompted to install the Windows 98 CD-ROM. Now it says it can't find the files - and there are a lot of files it needs. I tried clicking "Skip File" just to get a list of them, and there were over 70 files; mostly .dll and .vxd files, with some .exe files too. (Such as: choosusr.dll, mswsock.dll, winipcfg.exe, mssp.vxd, and so on).

Skipping the files screws up my operating system, so that I have to restore it from backup. The ONLY change I've made to my computer is the USR Modem. Could it be that upgrading that one thing screws up the ethernet card? My Windows CD is not damaged, so the files must still be there, buried in one of the dozens of .cab files. Why can't the installation for the ethernet card find them now?

Any ideas? I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks for any help.

John DeA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ethernet Card Install Problem

You just discovered Windows installation "feature" that seasoned technicians know for years. Windows MUST overwrite all files during the installation with exact copy of them. And if you updated some of this files (from Windowsupdate, by the way) the annoying error message "Windows found the file that is newer than... Do you want to keep this file?" pops up with no "Yes to all" button, and you must click yes, yes, yes...
    Have a nice day.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

JFD's problem sounds familiar. I'm not a "seasoned technician," and I'm afraid you lost me.

I'm trying to connect an old Win98SE machine to a home network. It's gonna live with two WinXP computers. I put a NIC card into the machine; then I tried to install the driver for the card. Got the floppy that came with the card--loading whatever's on the floppy went OK. But then setup asked for the Win98 CD-ROM. I loaded the Win98 Update disk (this machine shipped with Win95). Next setup said Windows can't locate some file. (I shoulda written down the name of the file--I remember it was something like "choos__.)

What do I do now? I guess my real question is, if the file or files Win98 is looking for are not on the CD-ROM, where the *&%$ are they? (I remember this was something pretty simple, but I haven't messed with Win98 for about a year.) I did not click on "skip file," so I did not get a list of files that Windows must overwrite, as John did. I didn't even know such an event has to occur. My new NIC card is in place, and the computer is still running. What do I do next?

TIA!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this possible solution is the answer to JFD's problem (or even YOURS!) but check <!post=my post to you,201522>my post to you<!/post> in the Hardware forum.