3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Distribution Lists (Win ME; OL 2002)

I recently had to clean up after myself and reinstall WinME. I was very careful to copy all data files to another hard drive and to export all of the folders used by Outlook and IE. After all was said and done, i imported my contacts, favorites, etc. but left my Inbox and Sent Items folders where I put them. I experienced 2 anomalies that I hope someone can explain to me and help me with (sic).

First, I had several distribution lists, groups of e-mail addresses and names, in the Contacts folder. Some of the names were kept only in the distribution lists, but others were individual Contact entries. When I imported the saved Contacts list, the distribution lists were missing. What happened? I didn't see any warnings anywhere that such lists would be lost. Are they lost forever, or is there some slight of hand that I don't know about?

Second, Outlook exported the files for the Inbox and Sent Items folders creating them as Excel files. I can't seem to find the dates sent and received in these spreadsheets. I am hesitant to import them for fear that I might hose those folders in Outlook. I am trying to find Sent Items to my distribution lists so that I can reconstitute them. Is there another way to do this, or am I out of luck?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated and gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Re: Lost Distribution Lists (Win ME; OL 2002)

If you still have your original .PST file, you can open it from inside your new install (File|Open|Personal Folders File...) and see if you can copy/drag whatever the export/import did not cover.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. I have recreated my distribution lists successfully. Do you know why a File|Export didn't include distribution lists? . . . or why the exported Inbox|Sent_Items files were created in xls files? . . . or why the xls files don't have the sent|received dates in them?

Inquiring minds want ot know.

Thanks again

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Why did you import/export? You should have just opened the old pst using File | Open.

Because of the way DLs are created, with multiple fields, the import/export wizard can't handle them - and in all honestly, import/export is the dumb way to doing it. Not only do you lose DLs, but you also change modified dates and that affects archiving.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, MJ. Live and learn is something I've had to do! Next time I'll just copy the .pst.