3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening VB6 VBP in .NET (VB.NET)

Okay, had my laptop stolen where I did all my development using VB6. My work, for my desktop computer, just got me VB.NET. The application I need to edit is written in VB6, for which I would like to keep in VB6. I was told .NET would open a VB6 file in its native language, but so far it has been wanting to convert it. I even tried converting it but it can't find the ListView control file (or something like that).

Was I misinformed that .NET can open a VB6 file without converting it? Any idea what is going on with the conversion? I've installed all my third part controls I used in VB6. . .

Thanks

Re: Opening VB6 VBP in .NET (VB.NET)

I have no personal knowledge, but perhaps this will help: Upgrading Your Visual Basic 6.0 Applications to Visual Basic .NET.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

When VS.NET opens a .vbp file, VS.Net will do an upgrade.

I looked thru the Tools | Options menu, but did not find any way to turn that off.

You can right-click on a .bas file and do an Open With VS.Net, but I do not yet know how to proceed after that.

I've not yet found the time to read-up on this stuff, but I did manage to get a few things converted.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your best bet is to install VS6 on your desktop. It will run quite happily side by side with VS.NET.

VS.NET doesn't provide any facility for working with VB6 projects and compiling them against the COM and VB6 runtime etc. It will insist on upgrading the code.