Star Lounger
    Thanks

Poor Performance on SBS

We are running Small Business Server 4.5 and are having serious performance problems. I've looked at the MS website and I can't find anything that matches our problem. Everything just gets really slow, I'll go check performance monitor and the CPU will be at 100%. I turned off IIS and the problem still occurs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Poor Performance on SBS

Task Manager > Processes and sort on CPU.
    What's showing up as using the processor?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Idle Process is always at the top under CPU. Could it be my screen saver? The server will slow down, I'll go to take a look at performance monitor and I'll see that the CPU has been at 0 but it drops as soon as I move the mouse (which made the screen saver stop). What is System Idle Process? Thanks for the help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Correction to my last post, CPU goes to 100% but then drops as soon as I go over to the server and move the mouse.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It could most definitely be your screen saver. As a rule, you should try not to use any screen saver except for the blank screen on a server because it will steal cycles from the CPU. The more involved the saver (3D rendering, for example) the more CPU time is taken away.

The System Idle Process is displayed to show you when the CPU is not processing other instructions. It's not a program per se, but more a representation of work vs. idle time.
    -Mark

Thanks

System Idle Process is the CPU doing nothing - the higher the %, the less work is actually being done.
    What SS are you running?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was running 3D Flower Box but the strange thing is that we have been running that forever and this problem just started a few weeks ago. I changed the screen saver to blank screen and will see if this helps.

System Idle Process is probably at the top because the CPU usage has already dropped. It's never at 100% when I'm actually looking at the screen. Another sign that it might be the screen saver I guess. Does anyone know why the screen saver might all of a sudden cause such system slowdown?

Thanks for the help.